Tackle organization

Iv started sorting out my tackle disaster from last summers season. Just curious as to others ways of trying to stay organized as far as tackles concerned it always seems to end up a jumbled mess of trebles, line, flashers, etc!!!!! Guess its a good way to burn up some cabin fever! Come on spring!

organized are you kidding me i fish many species with different set ups and also do hard water so i guess ill never be organized. if you come up with a way to be organized lmk. your right though bring on spring for some fishing for trout and salmon and other species as well. for me to be organized i would need a tackle organinzer the size 2 large suitcases just for my lures and hooks and sinkers then i would need someone to organize it for me. im glad im not the only one that sint organized. tight lines

I keep my spoons and sticks separately in plastic boxes sorted by general size and with single hooks but with flashers spinneys and dipseys I keep them all rigged up (e.g. dipsey/flasher/fly all in one gallon sized zip lock bag (dozens of them) with back up flies individually packaged and  in bags as well and then keep them in those blue Wegmans thermo bags (about $3.00 each). They are water proof (zippered), soft so they don't slide around it the boat and hold a lot of stuff and protect the stuff from UV exposure and extreme temps and from getting banged up etc. I do have to sort out stuff when looking for things but I arrange it beforehand to minimize it in terms of what I want to use first vs. last. I keep the bags up in front of the boat out of the way until I need something and then whatever I'm using can sit on the floor or the back area in back without sliding etc. I also have Plano boxes set up specifically for salmon and Lake O stuff (not pictured) and I also keep about 200 frequently used spoons on short sections of foam "noodles" bunjied on either side of the bimini for quick access. Pictured in the last pic. Also the lure boxes are stored out of the way in the back section under the fold down seat/deck.  It is also noteworthy to look closely at what my son is doing and the position of the down rigger rod.....during a derby no less :lol: . A good example of why it makes sense to prohibit other folks from bringing a phone on board while fishing :lol:  We did manage to get the fish though.....

post-145411-0-11056000-1422370622_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-86714600-1422370652_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-14680000-1422370692_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-04457800-1422370715_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-76274600-1422371717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I keep my spoons and sticks separately in plastic boxes sorted by general size  but with flashers spinneys and dipseys I keep them all rigged up (e.g. dipsey/flasher/fly all in one gallon sized zip lock bag (dozens of them) with back up flies individually packaged and  in bags as well and then keep them in those blue Wegmans thermo bags (about $3.00 each). They are water proof (zippered), soft so they don't slide around it the boat and hold a lot of stuff and protect the stuff from UV exposure and extreme temps and from getting banged up etc. I do have to sort out stuff when looking for things but I arrange it beforehand to minimize it in terms of what I want to use first vs. last. I keep the bags up in front of the boat out of the way until I need something and then whatever I'm using can sit on the floor or the back area in back without sliding etc. I also have Plano boxes set up specifically for salmon and Lake O stuff (not pictured) and I also keep about 200 frequently used spoons on short sections of foam "noodles" bunjied on either side of the bimini for quick access. Pictured in the last pic. Also the lure boxes are stored out of the way in the back section under the fold down seat/deck.  It is also noteworthy to look closely at what my son is doing and the position of the down rigger rod.....during a derby no less  :lol: . A good example of why it makes sense to prohibit other folks from bringing a phone on board while fishing  :lol:  We did manage to get the fish though.....

How can you stand fishing with those rods in the middle of the boat?  I used to have mine setup like that but couldn't stand fighting fish around them.

2 words "Special Mate" these boxes are available for stickbaits or spoons.  I have the spoon box and will be buying a stickbait box.  I can't stand untangling hooks, wasted time and a total pain. Only down side is they are a little bulkier and are on the expensive side.

Edited by Chas0218

No problem at all EVER. I have moved them up front once for a crazy chinook that didn't respond well to my boat maneuvering :) You 'll notice the net is tilted toward center and away from the action too :lol:  Everyone has their own system they get used to I guess for better or worst :lol:

Amish outfitters flasher file for flasher/ flies, or something similar.  You can rig the flasher and fly and oput it in the compartments then roll the whole thing up for storage, they are very handy.  I built my own  special mate style box out of a $10 home depot tool box and some dividers with 15 notches cut in the top.  It can hold around 400 spoons.

Do yourself a favor and get special mate boxes for sticks!!! I have 3 and all are full. Keeps them from getting beat up, Hooks from rusting in trapped water like other Plano type boxes, easily organized, and no tangles!!!

post-151421-14223814841847_thumb.jpg

They are sweet but the reason I use the smaller less bulky plastic boxes is that they fit in the area under the back seat area (in the pic of the boat the very back under the back seat/deck). They slide in perfectly and are totally out of the way. Everyone has a different setup according to your own personal and boat requirements (or limitations :) )  and I was only using mine as an "example" If I had a larger or different boat my system would change to accomodate it. The single hooks on spoons seldom tangle but sticks are admittedly another matter but I don't use them nearly as frequently either.

Edited by Sk8man

Here is how I do it for my dipseys, flashers & flies, 20 complete setups ready to go, just unravel and snap onto the wireline:

PouchesDipseyFlashers_zpsbd790ac4.jpg

That's exactly what I was talking about with the flasher file. :yes:

These are pics of my new organizing system that I purchases from Amish Outfitters. They are called caddys. 1 bag is my lake trout rigs, 1 bag is all my meat heat leaders and the other is for my flies. I love how I can now just grab the bag I want and everything is in it I need. The other 2 plastic totes is for my flashers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139635-14224008534676_thumb.jpg

post-139635-14224008745325_thumb.jpg

post-139635-14224008903709_thumb.jpg

These are pics of my new organizing system that I purchases from Amish Outfitters. They are called caddys. 1 bag is my lake trout rigs, 1 bag is all my meat heat leaders and the other is for my flies. I love how I can now just grab the bag I want and everything is in it I need. The other 2 plastic totes is for my flashers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

nice ill have to check that out.

Iv got one special mate box full of spoons n one spin dr plano storage box also have few plano boxes with sticks an j plugs hopefully will work well gonna be an interestimg year for sure picked up a new to me sportcraft 300 fishermen trying to get it set up right for me Organization = less wasted time and agravation! Again any ideas and input is greatly appreciated! Come one spring!!!!!

I have a small boat and a ton of stuff, here's my strategy:

Rods: in the arch or in the riggers or bert's +  not in use in the cuddy

FF combos: ATOMIK organizers and stored flat on a shelf edge around the back deck

Stix, Spoons: Amish outfitters bags which hang flat around edge of back deck (keeps the flasher boxes from falling off shelf).

Note: I never take my divers off the diver rods(big waste of time)

Important:

I always keep a plastic organizer each of my  'go to' FF combos, stix and spoons on my engine doghouse. These boxes change as the season/bite changes. Whenever it's slow I take stuff I haven't been using from the 'go to' boxes and put it back in the ATOMIK and Amish storage containers (that keeps you thinking about the versatility you have)

Thanks silver fox. We have been looking for something like that fly box for years. I ordered one five minutes after i saw your pics. I have three of the large plano spoon boxes. In the spirit of shareing, if you take an exacto knife to the foam in the plano spoon box and connect the slots, you can get twenty more spoons in each box.

Edited by baitrigger

Do yourself a favor and get special mate boxes for sticks!!! I have 3 and all are full. Keeps them from getting beat up, Hooks from rusting in trapped water like other Plano type boxes, easily organized, and no tangles!!!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1422381481.825563.jpg

That's a nice box...I have a bunch of low profile plano type boxes, their pretty good until the plastic catches start breaking off. I getting this special mate box, thanks