Marcum-V-Vexilar

Lakertaker187

I think what you may find here is whatever someone has that  will be perceived as "best" :lol:  I've had my Vexilar FL-20 for 7 years or so and I love it and hundreds of hours on the ice and am still on the original battery. Yes there is newer technology but this thing is "bullet proof". Whatever you do if you get a flasher get one with the ZOOM function.

Edited by Sk8man

I bought a marcum showdown four years ago. Great definition without all of the flashing lights which make me dizzy! Tremendous battery life and extremely user friendly. Wouldn't go on the ice without it, especially when targeting suspended crappies in fifty or more feet of water. Works like a charm and is very easy to operate and read.

Ford versus Chevy. I have had both brands and both have worked well. The Marcum LX5 is what I run now, with no complaints. Just make sure that if you're jigging for lakers in 180' that your depth range doesn't end at 160'. If you're fishing near other folks, interference rejection options will come into play. Having several beam widths to choose from can be useful, but is not strictly necessary. Some of the fancier new models don't use a tricolor flasher but instead project a flasher onto an LCD background. Sexy, but better? I've had a buddy of mine say that his Humminbird 55 is useless in shallow water with any sort of weed growth. The Marcum is great. The Vex used to have a shallow water filter to decrease sensitivity. It's all about your pocketbook as to what you can get, but you won't go wrong with either system.

Edited by Gator

Marcum lx3tc. Paid $325 four or five yrs ago. Love the zoom anywhere in the water column. Interference rejection is key when fishing near my buddies (the ones with Vexilars don't like me fishing too close. lol) Any flasher that fits your budget will. Help u catch more fish, this is just the best value in my opinion. If $$ was no object I would have a marcum lx-9

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United