Cannon digitroll 5

Anyone using these downriggers ? I want to put them on my '05 Lund 1950 tyee. I like the bottom tracking feature that will connect to my humminbird 999 si. Also what #LB weight should I buy for these. I found them for $698 each plus you get a $50 rebate each from Cannon. Opinions please and if you run this with a humminbird, would like to know everything I need to hookup right...thanks :)

I have a pair of these and concur they are great riggers.   They are fast retrieve, and appear to have a soft start/stop.  I agree the autostop works flawlessly.  I have run up to 16lb torpedoes and the DT5s handle them with no issues at all.  I typically use 12.5lb torpedoes unless I am trolling deeper than 100 ft.

My only complaints are the occasional cable jumping (hopefully fixed with the latest pulleys) and the composite swivel mounts.  One mount cracked on me under normal use....immediately replaced by Cannon, but I upgraded to the stainless mount anyway.....keeping a close eye on the second one.

I have mine networked to a HB 788C and occasionally use the bottom tracking feature and rarely the cycling feature.  It does take some getting used to when the depth changes and your rigger just starts running!  It is tough to find the cannonlink modules, but you may find them on ebay and even on this site occasionally.  I believe both Cannon and Humminbird made a version so look for both.

As far as I know, you cannot connect a transducer to the DT5, but I think you can buy a DT10 w/transducer and network it to DT5s.  Check with Cannon support to double check.  Their support has always been excellent both answering questions or resolving issues.

I have a pair of these and concur they are great riggers.   They are fast retrieve, and appear to have a soft start/stop.  I agree the autostop works flawlessly.  I have run up to 16lb torpedoes and the DT5s handle them with no issues at all.  I typically use 12.5lb torpedoes unless I am trolling deeper than 100 ft.

My only complaints are the occasional cable jumping (hopefully fixed with the latest pulleys) and the composite swivel mounts.  One mount cracked on me under normal use....immediately replaced by Cannon, but I upgraded to the stainless mount anyway.....keeping a close eye on the second one.

I have mine networked to a HB 788C and occasionally use the bottom tracking feature and rarely the cycling feature.  It does take some getting used to when the depth changes and your rigger just starts running!  It is tough to find the cannonlink modules, but you may find them on ebay and even on this site occasionally.  I believe both Cannon and Humminbird made a version so look for both.

As far as I know, you cannot connect a transducer to the DT5, but I think you can buy a DT10 w/transducer and network it to DT5s.  Check with Cannon support to double check.  Their support has always been excellent both answering questions or resolving issues.

Kyak;

Took a look at these riggers on the Cannon website, & there is no mention of soft start/stop, I would think that they would mention this if they had it, because it requires some significant engineering to have this option . Traxtec may be the only rigger currently available with soft start/stop.

John

I also cannot find any reference to soft start/stop on the Cannon web site or in the manual. The up/down speed is controllable via the cannonlink, so the engineering has been done, and the capability is there.   When I made my decision to purchase them, I thought it was one of the differences between the Digitrolls and the Magnums.  When I use auto up, I swear I can tell when the ball is almost at the surface by the slower speed, and it also seems to start slow on initial decent. 

I did find reference to soft start/stop in several retailer listings:

excerpt from FishUSA and Cold Water Tackle listing:

These downriggers also include Cannon's "Short Stop." With a quick touch on the Auto-Up pad, and the weight rockets toward the surface. As the weight nears the top of the water, Soft-Stop automatically slows the retrieve rate to prevent stress on the cable. Then just before the weight breaks surface, Short-Stop automatically stops the rigger, leaving the weight safely below the surface to prevent free swinging.

excerpt from westerndrugstore.com (I don't know why a drugstore is selling downriggers, but this is what google found!):

……Adjustable Positive Ion Control. Short-Stop. Soft Start/Stop. Digital Line Counter. Compatible with CannonLink. 24" - 53" black telescopic boom. Dual Rear Rod Holder. 400' of Stainless steel cable. Universal line release (qty: 2). Plastic spool. Black swivel base. Mounting base. Mounting hardware. Single terminator. Ball storage hook.

I agree, you would think they would highlight it on their website, but I cannot find it.  You may have to call them to be certain.  Whatever the answer, I do not experience sudden starts and stops or bouncing booms.

I also cannot find any reference to soft start/stop on the Cannon web site or in the manual. The up/down speed is controllable via the cannonlink, so the engineering has been done, and the capability is there.   When I made my decision to purchase them, I thought it was one of the differences between the Digitrolls and the Magnums.  When I use auto up, I swear I can tell when the ball is almost at the surface by the slower speed, and it also seems to start slow on initial decent. 

I did find reference to soft start/stop in several retailer listings:

excerpt from FishUSA and Cold Water Tackle listing:

These downriggers also include Cannon's "Short Stop." With a quick touch on the Auto-Up pad, and the weight rockets toward the surface. As the weight nears the top of the water, Soft-Stop automatically slows the retrieve rate to prevent stress on the cable. Then just before the weight breaks surface, Short-Stop automatically stops the rigger, leaving the weight safely below the surface to prevent free swinging.

excerpt from westerndrugstore.com (I don't know why a drugstore is selling downriggers, but this is what google found!):

……Adjustable Positive Ion Control. Short-Stop. Soft Start/Stop. Digital Line Counter. Compatible with CannonLink. 24" - 53" black telescopic boom. Dual Rear Rod Holder. 400' of Stainless steel cable. Universal line release (qty: 2). Plastic spool. Black swivel base. Mounting base. Mounting hardware. Single terminator. Ball storage hook.

I agree, you would think they would highlight it on their website, but I cannot find it.  You may have to call them to be certain.  Whatever the answer, I do not experience sudden starts and stops or bouncing booms.

kayak

Below is the info on the Traxtec Downrigger ck the 9th feature down starting with soft stop

Downrigger Elite Series - 400' of cable

Item #: DRES-400

The most advanced downrigger in technology offers all the features standard listed below:

â—¾Aluminum 3" swivel base with 12 position positive lock, -optional deck mount base available

â—¾All aluminum frame components

â—¾Lift & Lock aluminum 3' boom with optional lengths available

â—¾Dual roller pulley assembly on boom

â—¾All aluminum reel spool with 400' of 316 stainless-steel cable

â—¾Liquid smooth drag system with aluminum tension knob and retainer clip on drive shaft to ensure drag sysem components remain intact

â—¾Dual electronic counter system for superior accuracy

â—¾Lighted LCD display screen with large characters for easy viewing

â—¾Soft stop included in the electronic auto stop up and auto down features

â—¾Exact depth control using the lighted military grade 16 character key pad

â—¾Customer programmable jig function

â—¾Depth memory features

â—¾Tested with: 12# weight retrieved 280 feet per minute, 14# weight retrieved 260 feet per minute, 20# weight retrieved 200 feet per minute

â—¾Standard dual RH1 rod holder assembly

John

Kayaker..you are right. I was talking with a Sporting goods retailer in Canada over the weekend and he told me my Humminbird was too new , the last model they put the cannonlink software in was the "8" series. They will no longer be using the software...my search is over. Thanks for your help guys.

Why would anyone buy the Digitroll 5's then...they can not be controlled with a transducer connected to do bottom track or jig, only the digitroll 10 can do that, from what I understand, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by muskie magnet