BEST Ice Fishing in the Area

jacobj12k

MN Native relocated to Webster, NY year and a half ago looking for the absolute best ice fishing in the area.  My parents are flying in from MN and the weather here is setting up well for ice fishing.  My Dad and I have done some pretty darn good ice fishing trips in the past in MN/SD.  We're limited for time while my Dad is here in NY so I'm looking for the best one day ice fishing experience within reasonable driving distance (couple hours ok).  We have caught true JUMBO perch in South Dakota, but I've heard of some dandy perch in the deeper Finger Lakes.  He's never fished for trout so I would love to get him a laker or any trout for that matter.

What would you suggest?  

I have all the gear.  Just zero experience ice fishing in NY.

I'm not looking for your secret spot on the spot, but would appreciate any suggestions or guide service referrals.

Thanks! 

If u r willing to drive a couple hours..... Hard to beat Henderson harbor area or chaumont bay. Excellent perch, northern, walleye fisheries. About one laker a week is caught in chaumont i'm told. I caught a nice 29" last week. My first in chaumont. Good luck and good fishing. I hope to fish MN one day soon;)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to post your results! I've been in similar situations where you have a one-day gig with a relative and you want a near sure thing.

Unfortunately, there's no local bite right now that I know of that's on fire. The biggest perch are in Seneca, but that's all open water. Maybe laker water is solid on Keuka, if you're prepared to jig in 100'. There can be good perch there, too, but it's hit or miss. Honeoye is probably the easiest in terms of access, but it's been pounded. You might want to peruse IceShanty; hopefully somebody on here shoots you a pm with good advice. 

I appreciate the responses thus far.  Some good info.  Last winter I focused on teaching myself how to catch trout from open water I could find.  That is tough right now given the cold and ice so I think the best bet for my Dad and I next week is ice fishing.  Any tips on trying to hook into a laker or two?  Morning, evening or anytime of day better generally?  

I caught my first three trout ever on Superbowl Sunday morning last year.  Saw a few Steelhead in that spot last weekend.  Maybe a repeat Superbowl catch is in my future...

IMG_2038.jpg

N. end of Cayuga L. has about the most consistent bite for perch and pickerel ..... lots of pickerel.  Unless you go with someone who is on top of things on Oneida L. that can be VERY hit or miss.  Chaumont Bay is a good bet also .... stop by Chaumont Hardware for up to date info..

Iceshanty.com ............ definitely the place for more info.

DAN

jacobj12k......Yeah, register with Iceshanty. I'll vouch for the north end of Cayuga Lake. Nice sunnies and perch (some jacks too). Sodus seems to be some folks doing ok, others not so.....BTW....is that pic u posted two of the first trout you ever caught...on super bowl Sunday? That is awesome!! That steelie looks like a king with that head! Chamber of commerce shot..... :nod:     :yes:

One thing to consider though with the north end of Cayuga is whether you have a 4 wheeler or snowmobile to get out there. It is a very long walk out to the fishing areas and I presume your dad may no longer be in his twenties :)

Edited by Sk8man

X2 Chaumont Hardware will point you in the right direction on all fronts. Greg is very knowledgeable and a great great ambassador of the sport and Chaumont. Here is a pic of a Northern caught in chaumont bay last week.... A true hog.post-155409-14226620171793_thumb.jpg

Good luck and good fishing:).

Edited by EsoxAC3

Sorry you didnt put any fish on the board. Sat and Sun were very difficult fishing conditions on chaumont bay. If it's any consolation productivity was poor here also. Hope you and your dad still had a wonderful time on the ice:) Fish or no fish the outing makes for great memories. Good fishing!

Esox

Edited by EsoxAC3