How does this happen?

dgio67

I've grew up with hundreds of horse's, my dad was a black smith for thirty years and has broke and sold hundreds of them. I've see horses racked flat out in the sun and at night for hours sound asleep. As for shooting one that is pure stupidity.

Also agree with chowder.  Have to wonder why someone who knew their horses were out would let guys hunt that pasture, especially at night.  I've hunted a lot of yotes at night and try to stay away from occupied pastures, just common sense to me. 

Horses routinely lay flat out, roll on their backs, or bed down, even in the wintertime. A great example of breaking one of the basic firearm rules, know your target and beyond, being broken. Sounds like they were pretty trigger happy. Loss of all sporting priveleges for a significant amount of time might not even be adequate penalty in my mind.

Many hobby horse owners form incredible bonds with their animals, riding,feeding, watering, and shoveling for twenty years or sometimes 30 for the same horse. I feel for the owners on this one.

Really !!? Its the horse owners fault now. What are you a member of the same gene pool as the two idiots who shot them?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Not the owners fault at all.  These guys were 100% in the wrong as far as I am concerned.  Just that most farmers I know don't want hunters in their pastures with livestock. 

It's A real shame the "non-hunting" population of New York fail to see the real benefit of responsible hunters,both ecnomicly and more importantly environmentally.Conduct like this only further perpetuates the negative perception of hunters and the sport of hunting in genreal.We all need to be good "AMBASSADORS" of the sport.It is a real shame we are judged by incidents such as this!One bad apple! I hope these individuals loose the privillege to hunt forever! A privillage that many of us cherrish and stive to pass down to future generations.

I'm a little concerned of not hearing too much on the investigation of this mess. When I first heard about this driving home on the radio, it was mentioned the two shooters were that of the ontario county law enforcement system (not sure what), and that the Livingston sheriffs system is keeping it low key because of it. Mmmmm. If someone has an update not that I or anyone needs names and such but it would be good to know that justice is handed out and not a case of the fox watching the hen house.....

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

In any situation involving firearms of any type the first rule (after safety stays on until ready to fire) is to be absolutely sure of your target. These guys irrespective of their occupational status obviously didn't follow those essential basic rules and horses are not inexpensive.  Regardless of the legal outcome I'll bet they are going to be coughing up some pretty big bucks and as with any "punishment"  the effect may or may not be "long term" in terms of learning and change (witnesss speeding offenses) but hopefully losing a few grand may make them think twice in the future about selecting their target....but there is no guarantee.....and the situation unfortunately doesn't help answer or quell the concerns of the gun control folks who look for any situation to amplify their case.

Sk8's post is spot on. Individuals deserve punishment coming to them but probably not harsh enough as far as I am concerned. It gives true sportsman a black eye and makes access to hunting and fishing spots that much more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well I thank you for trying to smooth things over BS. However this hole ball of wax is getting out of control, I was put against the whipping pole for my passion to crow hunt, coyote hunt, using a 204 cal. To hunt deer, using fish parts for bait,and any other little nick pick thing others didn't agree with. I don't over harvest, throw trash around and run others in the dirt!! I've been fishing lakeO since 1972 when we bought property on the Perch River, and always thought the "up staters" were as down to earth as us farm land boys from PA. I joined this site and thought I found a home. I learned a lot from here!! I couldn't wait to get up and read what others did that day or who caught what how deep, now it's just bashing others for what they say or how they say it, one thing stands true, ever person that $hit down my throat 1, is just a lurker, look at their post#s 2 doesn't support the site, most other sites don't allow you to read more than 3 posts if you aren't a member, you should be a pro member to axcess any further material, 4 don't have any friends or other info about themselves. So now what? I'm not going to renew my membership, that's $20.00 less in the kitty for next year. I can't speak for other but take a look around I know of others that did the same thing for the same reasons. I wish tight lines to all and a safe boating season. I here by withdraw my membership of LOU, and you won't see any more posts from PAP. I'm sure that will make some of you happy!!!!

I don't know Pap but from I just read on this thread absolutely no reason to leave.

Now back to the dead horses, the shooters, as said, yes lose of license for many years to come. Penalty the true dollar value of a pet x2...priceless