Smelt

Kevin J Legg

Good to know there are still some around Kevin as for whatever reason they are very scarce in many of the Finger Lakes these days. I can remember catching them even on bare tiny gold hooks :lol:

Nice work Kevin!

I can still remember waiting with my grandpa for my grandma to fry smelt up. Its probably eating smelt that got me hooked on fishing. Dip netting smelt at the salt mine on cayuga was my first fishing trip, and I remember thinking how awesome it was that we could go get them for ourselves. Of course looking back we should have been using them for bait to catch the trout that had to be right behind us feeding on the smelt! Those runs in the 70's were thick with smelt.

Another smelting hotspot as far as fishing for them is on the cattaragus creek. You can really get some nice ones and when there in you can get a lot. Right at the Hanover launch.

Back in the day, when i was a kid in Michigan, the smelt run off Lake Huron was incredible.

Just south of E.Tawas, where the Au Gres River runs into the big lake, the Singing Bridge was a magnet for hundreds of cars parking on both sides of US23.

During the run, cars would be lined up for what seemed to be miles and the river banks turned into an incredible mash of fishermen, fires, nets, beer cans, huge cast iron frying pans, lanterns, etc.

When a run was on, the moving roar of the crowd would parallel the run of the fish and lanterns would blink on like fireflies as the netters took to the water.

What an exciting time and experience to have.

Been in Rochester for 35 yrs and don't know what it's like there now but I'm pretty sure it's not that way anymore.

Exactly my experience Kevin. I still remember all the lanterns and dip nets and people going wild and kids yelling and the occasional rainbow trout in the mix scrambling for his life :lol:

This is exciting and disconcerting at the same time. The slowdown with smelt in many areas. Besides the usual demons that  have affected that fishery, I want to find of any real specifics on if this is being addressed on a regional (U.S./Can.) basis to any successful outcomes....especially in NYS.      :wondering:     :thinking: