Fish weights and blow back

I have old mag 10s and have run 12Lb cannon ball weights since I've had the boat. I lost 2 weights last year and was thinking about replacing them with the fish weights thinking they might track better. Is there any pros or cons to the fish weights over the balls?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just so you know.....10 pound weights are the maximum recommended for those downriggers. They changed the motors in the early to mid nineties to a little heavier duty. I just purchased three of the "shark type" weights (10 lb) and I think they will track much better than the standard "fish" weights. Check out the ones by bikinibottom here on Lou.

I've been lucky with running 12lbs for the past 7 years with those old mag 10s. I saw the ones bikini bottom is selling and they are nice. Just doesn't say if shipping is included with price. Do you happen to know if it is or not?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe it is separate ( i personally met him half way between us to receive mine) but I don't think the bulk rate is very much. He listed his email address in an earlier post.....I'd ask him for specifics

Here it is : [email protected]

Edited by Sk8man

Elongated weights such as fish shaped "Herbies" or torpedoes provide less blowback than the same weight ball shapes as they have less surface area up front, hence less resistance due to friction up front. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Here are pics of the weights Rich makes and you can see from the top view that they are very hydrodynamically designed to cut through the water (note the nose area)

post-145411-0-15742400-1423312227_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-86375700-1423312238_thumb.jpg