Keuka

tplatt

Tim you have a PM.   Fishy Business is the place to go for your fishing needs over that way for sure and Gerry is on top of his game information wise too so definitely worth stopping by if fishing Keuka.

Went out of Indian Pines. Walking was 7 inches of snow over 2-3 inches of slush. Drag was OK as our light sled was staying on top. Didn't have a bite between 3 of us. Only stayed about 2½ hours as the wind was strong and we left the 2 man flip over home because we knew the drag would be tough as we were walking. Talked to a couple Mennonites who had a couple of pumpkinseeds. As we were leaving a van full of Mennonites numbering about 13 walked out on the ice and joined the ones we talked to. Would have toughed it out if the bite was on. So far I have fished Sodus Bay, Irondequoit Bay, Long Pond and Braddock's Bay and have not caught enough keepers for a meal. Been real tough out there for me.

Don't get discouraged....things have been pretty slow for most folks lately no matter where they fished.  Some days you can't buy a bite and the next they may be hammering your setup. Lately we have had many many lookers both perch and panfish and they may bump the jig at most and just look at the bait and swim away. After changing to many different setups and line types different shaped and colored jigs and talking with many people who had the same results I'm of the opinion that in many places the fish are either feeding and stuffing themselves on freshwater shrimp or possibly feeding at night or wee hours so they are not readily tempted by our offerings. Just have to keep going and trying until everything comes together - time of day for active feeding, barometric pressure (or change) move around to find active feeders, and try variety of setups.

Edited by Sk8man

Any new updates?  I wanted to get out on Sunday but was not feeling too good (self induced).  Thinking about trying my cousins place 1 mile north of hamondsport on the west side.  Any reports from down that way?  I am thinking about going tomorrow after work.  I also have a spot on the Penn Yan branch at just north of the 900. 

Any info would be appreciated as I am going out solo.  I will check often and walk slow!!!

Thanks!

I waas there yesterday around the college and you can double the amount of slush and snow in some areas but not all.  One minute you would be walking along fine and the next, right through at least a foot with water.  I would think that the slight thaw today followed by the cold temps afterwards will harden it up again by the weekend. 

I was gonna try and run down to the state park and take a look see this afternoon. If the weather stays in this pattern, I would guess that we could be fishing there saturday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A word of caution: The ice on most of these lakes has not been uniformly formed this year and you can have 5 or 6 inches in one spot and 2 in another close to it. We experienced it yesterday on Canandaigua Lake when my son went to put in a hole near where we had about 5 inches and after a couple revolutions of the auger he was through (2 inches and under snow so impossible to detect beforehand) so don't get OVER confident out there.....

Another thing to watch out for is broken up and refrozen ice because when you drill a hole the ice may be at an angle so it looks as though you have plenty and a couple feet away it may be 2 inches

Edited by Sk8man

Drove around Keuka last weekend and found about a mile up from Hamondsport at my access site, open water for about 4 cottages at my cousins place.  I told her to turn her bubbler down....

So my son and I drove over to the east side and saw that the pump house is posted and wondered why?  Because they are doing work, and will they un-post it when it is completed?

Drove further north to another spot I have permission to access and the ice was 1.5 to 3 inches thick.  Not thick enough for me to go out on with my son!!!  Should be safe now.  Some one I know sent me a report that just north of my access had 4.5 on Tuesday.

I just got word that I have another spot on the west side of the Branchport arm about half way up the finger.  Anyone have ice report form this area.  Just trying to figure out my plan of attack for me my buddy adn our kids.

Has anyone ever tried to access the lake from the park at the end of the lake in Hamondsport?  I cant remember the name of the park but looked like decent access, also wondered how the fishing was down there if people fish it?

Stay safe and dry!!  I will post our results on Monday.

Thanks!

Edited by floatfisher

Yeah thats it panfisher.  Saw some guys out of there on Saturday, thinking I should have gone there with the wind out of the south like it was.

Fished off a cottage about half way up the branchport side on Saturday and the wind was brutal!!  We fished for a few hours and didnt even get a flag.  I forgot the drill so I could not anchor my shanty and just kept it set up in next to shore for a spot for the kids to get out of the wind.  Then my flasher died and I could not use it out in deeper water to jig for lakers.  Needless to say we got the big skunk.  Ice was a good 5-7 inches in all of the holes we drilled. 

Getting kind of worried that the kids are going to loose interest with the bad fishing we have been having this year...  LOL!!

Yeah thats it panfisher. Saw some guys out of there on Saturday, thinking I should have gone there with the wind out of the south like it was.

Fished off a cottage about half way up the branchport side on Saturday and the wind was brutal!! We fished for a few hours and didnt even get a flag. I forgot the drill so I could not anchor my shanty and just kept it set up in next to shore for a spot for the kids to get out of the wind. Then my flasher died and I could not use it out in deeper water to jig for lakers. Needless to say we got the big skunk. Ice was a good 5-7 inches in all of the holes we drilled.

Getting kind of worried that the kids are going to loose interest with the bad fishing we have been having this year... LOL!!

go out of the boat launch on branchport walk south west for 200 yrds then your in laker water. Tie on any kind of bait that gives off vibration drop it to the bottom jig it 3 times then real it up. If you do that then you will catch fish even without electronics

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app