Honeoye lake

bluewater1861

Roughly 10 inches of ice in most places but there was a lot of snow covering it (about a foot) but the wind gusts today may have blown some of it off there. There is also  some slush between the snow cover and the ice in some places near shore in some places. It is pretty arduous walking if going very far out. I'd make sure they have good waterproof boots and dress very warmly in layers with multiple socks (wool if they have them) and warm gloves.

That would be great and certainly make it easier for the kids to navigate around. My hunch is though that it will also expose the water that is under the snow but on top of the ice so I hope the kids have good water proof boots etc.

Huge kudos to the Honeoye fish and game club for a great kids event today. Each child was given a five gallon bucket and a rigged jigging pole at registration. After the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag (Kids joined in, totally cool),there was an informative and entertaining seminar given on basics of ice fishing. It was really great to see so many kids, both boys and girls with their parents in attendance. Then it was out to the ice to give it a try with over 150 pre drilled holes by the staff. I cant count how many times I heard parents say "we never did this before and wanted to see what it's all about). Makes me think back to 45 years ago when my dad took me ice fishing for the first time. We showed up with regular size poles and an axe to get through the ice. But I'm glad we went.