Amazon For fishing stuff

I have to say that Amazon is pretty cheap for fishing stuff. I was at Cabelas in PA to get some light action rods and reels for spring. as an example, I needed some Okuma Magda 20's. Cabelas was 60. Amazon was 36 and that was shipped to my door. Even swivels were cheaper than cabelas.

Yes Cabelas has sure gone downhill. I've been doing business with them since they opened in the sixties or so and they used to be great price-wise and quality-wise but not lately on either. Lately a few things I received had been previously opened/used and then sent onto me as brand new. They are good about sending stuff back still but that is about it. Their stores are nothing to write home about either now.

Edited by Sk8man

I think Amazon can beat everyone on price...but it is still important to buy from the local shops like Narby's and Captains Cove. These shops are always competitive and they have what you want now.

I constantly buy local where practicable.   Unless you are in a service business(hotel, restaurant, plumber, etc) owning a brick and mortar store has jumped the shark unless you are able to scale(Gander Mountain as an example). Anyone seen a local hardware store lately? We lost ours 3 years ago because Home Depot can buy a screw for 2 cents because they buy 30,000,000 of them. My old hardware store couldn't buy that screw for less than a quarter.  

And those of you that scream "SHOP LOCAL", where do you get your gas? At the Exxon for 2.20 or the local repair shop that sells it at $2.40? That's what I thought.

Edited by Slingha

Yes Cabelas has sure gone downhill. I've been doing business with them since they opened in the sixties or so and they used to be great price-wise and quality-wise but not lately on either. Lately a few things I received had been previously opened/used and then sent onto me as brand new. They are good about sending stuff back still but that is about it. Their stores are nothing to write home about either now.

i also have been doing business with cabelas for years. ordered some nice jackets for my daughter-in-law and granddaughter for christmas when they opened them up christmas morning to our surprise my daughter-in-laws jacket had a big burn mark on the chest. how could not someone notice this. sent it back with no problems and got a refund. i just bought a new salmon steelhead rod from them also and i havent used it yet but has a 5 year fenwick warranty. i do local as much as i can but something like this wouldnt be able to get here from our bait and tackle stores. 

Slingha..nobody is screaming. I love Amazon and I think everything you have written is correct. I'm just saying that we need to keep local shops in mind. Cabelas is another story. Ordered some pants from them December 25th. Back ordered. On January 25th still no word. Canceled order and ordered from Amazon. Here two days later. That's hard to beat.

Another emphatic vote for buying locally. Small shops support not only the fisherman in a community, but, the community as a

whole.  I only purchase from a big box store if absolutley necessary and almost never buy online. Cabelas, Dicks, Gander, etc.

may have prices that are a little better, but, the overall better value is with smaller vender.  Buy locally and say "Thank You!"

Another emphatic vote for buying locally. Small shops support not only the fisherman in a community, but, the community as a

whole.  I only purchase from a big box store if absolutley necessary and almost never buy online. Cabelas, Dicks, Gander, etc.

may have prices that are a little better, but, the overall better value is with smaller vender.  Buy locally and say "Thank You!"

it depends on where you live. in small rural towns there isnt much to  shop with and even buying your nightcrawlers are hard to find. if you live in a good size poplulation and near lakes yes its possible to shop locally. i try to shop locally ist then if i cant i reach out to ebay etc.example some of us like to use wax worms and on several occasions here locally i couldnt get them in the past or now.both bait shops cant get them for me? so i either get them at wal mart which bothers me or i have to order online . i have several freinds in dfferent towns are running across the same thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like to shop locally and try most of the time, but it is tough when most won't meet prices or sales. Im not asking the local guy to cut prices on everything as they need to make a living too. I would rather buy it online than ask a guy to take money out of his pocket to give me that price cut specially if it is an item that sells well.

Sent from my thinking car!

I buy typically everything local. High priced equipment such as marine electronics though I typically go amazon. Rods, reels, lures, and tackle local is where to go. It's funny to see that a lot of local places are now cheaper. $9.99 for an Atommik fly? Really Gander?

I recently walked into our local bait shop to buy a 2015 fishing licence and noticed these Okuma reels they were big, like 10 color core reels, so I asked Carol how much for these Okuma reels she said what's on the box, I said looks like $69.99 she said I know you need two of them right? I said well I guess, she said take the both and I'll sell them to you for $59.99. I said sold!!! So she was happy and I was happy, then Carol said buy any lures in 5 lots and I'll knock a $1.00 off the price which she's .75 to $1.00 less then Cabelas already, I asked if I could mix them up for a 5 lot and she said as long as you buy 5 at a time I'll stand my word and she has a ton of lures in all different brands!!! How can you beat that!!! I also buy from fat Nancy and B&J bait in Dexter and Henchens he's got a major supply on spoons I think for the reasons charters boats go out of there. I also rent a cabin in early April and he lets me store my boat there till the Black River Camp site opens, that guy who owns Henchens is a good man to me. I like to buy local for the simple reason is the next time you need #1 or #2 pack of duo locks you wont have to get on the phone and wait 2 days till they arrive, anyway that's my thought but I've been known to be wrong sometimes!! LOL.

I shop everywhere.  I am loyal to my wife, my employer and my country.  While I try to do as much shopping at the local shops (30 min drives) and I do very much appreciate them and agree that their prices are right in line and they are an asset, I live in a free economy where I can choose where to spend my dollars.  I just spent my hard earned $$ at a local shop  buying gear for my nephews' birthdays but they didn't have everything so I finished at Dicks.  If you are fortunate enough to have everything you want and need in one M&P shop good for you.  Nothing like it.  If not you probably need to go elsewhere(s) - like me.  You can say I am part of the problem but I say what problem?  Free economy.  It isn't a game, it is a competition.  The strong will survive.  I always try to let the shops know what i am looking for.  If they do not carry it - so be it.  I will get somewhere else.  The obligation should be on the business to satisfy me - not the other way around.  I do not think I could run a shop so my hats off to them.  Hard work and long hours.

I shop everywhere.  I am loyal to my wife, my employer and my country.  While I try to do as much shopping at the local shops (30 min drives) and I do very much appreciate them and agree that their prices are right in line and they are an asset, I live in a free economy where I can choose where to spend my dollars.  I just spent my hard earned $$ at a local shop  buying gear for my nephews' birthdays but they didn't have everything so I finished at Dicks.  If you are fortunate enough to have everything you want and need in one M&P shop good for you.  Nothing like it.  If not you probably need to go elsewhere(s) - like me.  You can say I am part of the problem but I say what problem?  Free economy.  It isn't a game, it is a competition.  The strong will survive.  I always try to let the shops know what i am looking for.  If they do not carry it - so be it.  I will get somewhere else.  The obligation should be on the business to satisfy me - not the other way around.  I do not think I could run a shop so my hats off to them.  Hard work and long hours.

I know how it feels I live just south of corning and HVS is a little of a drive for me too. Have you been over for the pre-season fishing sale?