Autopiloting with the Teleflex Smart Stick and the new Raymarine EV100

retsey

I will be pushing (looking to purchase)a 21'er with a Yamaha 150 & 9.9 high thrust through a Seastar HC5358 hyd steering. BTW, Currently have the S1000 and does not cut it !

Question, What exactly and do I need to spend the $270+/- on a Smart Stick sold through Teleflex?

II understand it's a way to measure linear movement and lets the autopilot know where the motor is on the transom.

But what I don't understand is if Raymarine suggest (as the RM rep does) that a Smart Stick to be used with there system, why don't they state that in there manual or even sell such a device with there system.

Or another way of saying it, if they are selling and autopilot that communicates with the EV1-Sensor that works off the compass,and is a working system, then why the Smart Stick.

Is it just added insurance that the autopilot will work much better at those lower speeds?

BTW...It seams like Teleflexx sells the Smart Stick but they don't even know what it is for or why its used, 

I called Teleflex (Seastar Solutions) , Vancouver direct and spoke to Mike Gray. He could not explain it to me.

Looking forward hearing from you

Retsey

I will be pushing (looking to purchase)a 21'er with a Yamaha 150 & 9.9 high thrust through a Seastar HC5358 hyd steering. BTW, Currently have the S1000 and does not cut it !

Question, What exactly and do I need to spend the $270+/- on a Smart Stick sold through Teleflex?

II understand it's a way to measure linear movement and lets the autopilot know where the motor is on the transom.

But what I don't understand is if Raymarine suggest (as the RM rep does) that a Smart Stick to be used with there system, why don't they state that in there manual or even sell such a device with there system.

Or another way of saying it, if they are selling and autopilot that communicates with the EV1-Sensor that works off the compass,and is a working system, then why the Smart Stick.

Is it just added insurance that the autopilot will work much better at those lower speeds?

BTW...It seams like Teleflexx sells the Smart Stick but they don't even know what it is for or why its used, 

I called Teleflex (Seastar Solutions) , Vancouver direct and spoke to Mike Gray. He could not explain it to me.

Looking forward hearing from you

Retsey

Better performance at slow speeds and choppy water than the compass alone.

You got a pm

Edited by spoonfed-1