FOUND on waneta lake fleet cove rd.

FOUND:

saturday 1/7/15 on fleet cove road by the old yellow duck crossing sign- i found a valuable item someone had left on the snowbank on the side of the road.
i left a note on the sign with my phone number, and also left a note at the lost and fouind and at the waneta inn. if anyone knows of who left the item there send me a p.m. and i'll make arraingements to get it back to them.

so, of course i'm wondering if i did the right thing, picking it up. somebody would definitely have picked it up regardless. i figured i would at least make an honest effort to get it back to it's rightful owner while some people would simply have kept it.
i hope somebody on this site can help me return it. i'll post this on a couple of different boards as well.

You did the right thing. This past fall, I launched early AM from my local marina, walking past an old Special Mate tackle box full of spoons, many oldies from the 80's.... Suttons, pirates, Andy Reekers, Evil Eyes, etc. It was still sitting on the ramp upon my return. Knowing the value of its contents, I took it home, left a note with my Phone number on the marina door, and posted a notice here.

Later that night, I get a call from the marina owner, seems a retired gentleman broke down on the lake and was towed back in the dark. With everything that went on late that night, he left the box on the ramp. I returned the tackle to the marina office where the owner retrieved it a few days later. At least it didn't end up on Craig's List or E- Bay...... no doubt it took years to fill that box with the priceless collection of spoons.

Kudos to you. According to some internet reports, over on the west end of Lake Erie, folks are getting quads and equip hung up/break down at night. They go out the next day to retrieve it and all the equip is gone. Quad, sleds, and equip. One group was caught bringing folks gear in and the " good samaritans" claimed they were going to post it on-line under lost and found...... Ya......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky I believe you did the right thing and your intentions are beyond question.  The situation does however bring to mind something that happened to a close fisherman friend of mine who while trying to do the right thing created a major mess for himself.  He kept his boat at a marina for years at the south end of Canandaigua Lake and one day he went fishing very early in the AM for brown trout. He went to launch his boat when he noticed a metal box on the dock near his boat. This was about 4 AM and it was still dark yet so he figured someone had inadvertently left the box there but nobody was yet available to either give it to or to inquire about it since the marina was closed right then so he put the box in his boat thinking that he would deal with it when he got in. The box was locked so he had no idea what was actually inside and he wanted to get fishing as he had driven from Rochester etc. Well he fished all morning and then went back to the marina and before he could get out of the boat the marina owner was right there at his spot. Mind you they had known each other for years. The marina owner spotted the metal box in the boat and before my friend could speak a word he accused him of stealing his "money box" from the marina and said that if any money was missing he was calling the sheriff.  My friend tried to explain the circumstances but the marina owner and several people that had gathered made disparaging remarks and the owner told him to get his boat out of the marina and never come back. My friend ended up fishing Keuka for the rest of his life and never returned to Canandaigua Lake and the experience affected him for years afterward..... and when he described the situation to me afterward when I asked him why he didn't keep his boat there he nearly burst out crying he was so upset. I am 100 percent sure of his original intentions and he was very wealthy from an inheritance and had a great job so didn't "need" any money and he had no idea what was even in the box. True story.  Moral of the story is even with the best of intentions things can get really messed up sometimes especially where valuables are involved. I should also clarify that the current marina owners had nothing to do with this situation. It happened many many years ago.

Edited by Sk8man