And yet another Autopilot question

Tim Bromund

I just bought an 8hp Tohatsu 4 stroke kicker.  I'm pretty sure I won't be able to transfer my Simrad AP14 over to the boat I'm buying and run it on the power assisted main motor with an EZ steer to the kicker with the main engine off without burning up the Simrad.

I was looking at the Garmin TR1 Gold for the kicker, but they don't have a model specifically for the Tohatsu.  My question is, Tohatsu makes a lot of the smaller 4 stroke outboards out there including the Nissan line and smaller Mercury 4 strokes less than 40 HP.  I know the Nissan and Tohatsu motors are the exact same unit with different badging applied to the engines, are the 4 stroke Mercs also the exact same engine? 

Does anyone know if I can use  the 8hp Merc model TR1 on the Tohatsu, and if so, is it a direct install or are there mods that need to be made?

I'm not aware of any other AP options out there for kickers, the Panther Electro Steer is a remote steering option, but it's not an AP.

Thanks,

Tim

We have run the TR1 for several years and installed a few. The only difference between engine models is the mounting bracket for the steering piston  on the lower end and if you opt for idle control some carb hardware may be different. The Tohatsu and Merc are very similar if not the same. My opinion should be doable with some possible minor mods.

Tim,

Here's a post from last year from Wilson boatyard in a similar thread.

I've installed a few autopilots using various kicker drives. There's a few better than the panther. Most are vary fast and can keep up without any problem provided your running a high thrust motor.

I know he mentions high thrust motors but should be able to give you some options.