Rattling stickbaits

I ran Bay Rats for the first time last year--field testing some prototypes. They all had rattles and we had a tremendous couple of days on Browns. That said, one of my favorite brown trout baits of all time, a J9 rapala in black and silver, never had rattles. I don't think it matters either way.

post-139716-14235110722641_thumb.jpgpost-139716-14235110935084_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Can only help in stained water.  Classics such as Storm Thunderstick Jr, Rattlin' Rogues, Bombers, Rapala Husky Jerks, and my favorite Renoskys all clobber fish in the spring..... then again so do spoons (no rattle).  Fish are stupid in the spring.

I run both Jrs and Rats in the same spread.....the rats really impressed me with their action....i bought a bunch more this year....

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The short shallow Bay Rat might run "slightly" deeper than a Jr. but, as Matt said, you can run them in the same spread with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I think finding the right water is more important than what you're pulling behind your boat. Sometimes people over think lure selection, but don't bother to worry about the water they're in. Just being in 8-10' of water doesn't mean you're gonna find the BT. 

That being said.....to the OP.....I remember a day 2 Springs ago we were fishing some really dark muddy Genny river water that the wind laid against the Webster shoreline. I have to produce fish for these clients, and our set was dead! When the fishing gets tough I'm the guy who starts putting more rods out. I took a Brads Thinfish and ran it down the chute. It wasn't in the water 5 minutes and WHAM! Put it back out and it fires again. We loaded a side up with Brads Thinfish that day and put a hurting on them. The Brads have some really bright colors, but so were the sticks we were running. I have no doubt the rattles let those fish key in on those baits in that muddy water. So yes, there is a time and place for rattles in your Spring set-up.

when running in stained/lo vis. muddy water we will start with one rattling stickbait off each board and always on the line closet to the board (first rod out). If they start to go and take fish we add another rattling stick to only one side at a time. Slowly adding more into the spread. To much noise can have a negative effect and repel the browns. Killing a once producing balanced presentation

also very limited success in green water with them for browns but have beatin up on coho with them.

The reason I asked was I had recently been at a sports show in Denver and came across some Yellow Bird lures at a booth. I didnt even know they made spoons and stickbaits. Bought some interesting rattling sticks for $5 each

for

Sent from my SM-G730V using Lake Ontario United mobile app