Feed the Deer?

whaler1

It is absolutely legal to plant food plots and hunt there.  People hunt over corn fields, soy bean fields, apple orchards, etc. all the time.  In terms of size, these are just giant food plots.  Plant a few rows of corn or soy beans and go at it, it's legal.

Yes,but those are natural or farmers fields making a living,to me planting food plots is like baiting?or feeding deer?because you are doing it for the deer and to hunt on?to me it's the same as feeding deer in the winter?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Giz9219

Two different topics I would say Giz, planting food plots for deer and whether it's baiting for hunting or not is a whole other topic, feeding the deer in the winter which this thread was based on is not the same as a food plot topic. One of the main concerns with feeding deer in the winter is food contamination with their own bodily wastes being deposited in what there eating. The post I attached earlier I think describes it. Food plots that were or have been planted previously spread deer out when they feed and cause them to feed naturally. Either case, those plots are under a foot of snow and in most cases still give deer a tough winter, vs a pile of corn etc.

I see what you are saying,baiting a different topic then here,but people were talking on this thread about the food in the winter feeding not being healthy for the deer because it's not what they are used to eating and might not digest the same,but wouldn't that be the case when people plant food plots of different types in the woods that the deer are not used too the same?sorry just read my post and back to the plots again.

Edited by Giz9219

Ok,Me neither,I've been feeding the deer for last 20 years and haven't seen any change in the heard?i try to keep it away from there fecies when I do?and they are always waiting every year for me,and I have about 15 yearlings this year,which I thinks helps them the most.my buddy who is a forest ranger told me last winter it was legal to feed again but the state did not want to make it public?but haven't seen anything about it,when looking it up it says illegal.

Just read a article in the Utica OD that John Pitarresi wrote in his column about violations this past year from dec,and there were 11 charges of feeding deer within 300 ft of a road,so is it legal?

Good article. Nope, it's not legal. And I think the article is pointing out deer that were taken through the use of baiting / feeding or the attempt there of. Example, you have a deer feeder for winter months that you keep current with food but let it run out of food come July, which in all tense and purposes is illegal, but it was the right thing to do with a harsh winter and so forth and you just so happen to place a hang on 30 yds from it for opening day of bow and there's no food in it whatsoever you could be in trouble because it was once a baited area. Waterfowl is different in that you have 13 days after it was baited that you can again hunt over that area. Deer regs are different because the premise was salt licks and other food sources could blend in the environment and be a source for deer for a long time. Why the 300ft from the rd? I'm not sure, someone might know. Sorry to ramble but it's helping bide time to go out and snow blow......uggg