Garmin verses Raymarine

Last One

I had a Lowrance 113 -10" screen and am looking to up grade to either Garmin 7610xsv or Raymarine a128,

Garmin has chirp/side scan and down scan and will use a Thru hull 600w chirp w side scan transducer,I like the Raymaine's side scan (600') either side, but they only offer a transom mount transducer.Raymarine is suppose to release new items this weekend. Any opinions on the units would be really helpful. This is a big investment.

PS I fish the Fairhaven area of Lake Ontario.

I have run Garmin on two boats for a few years with great success , plotters ,radar ,radios and displays that being said I don't think you can go wrong with Furuno ,Raymarine or Garmin products. I personally don't see the need for side scan etc , 2D is all that is necessary for big water trolling. IMHO

Edited by bigblue

Side scan is to look for bait, we spend most of the day looking for bait and fish below or above, Thought sense we are buying a new unit, this would allow us to cover more water. The Furno 587 is a nice unit, but does not have GPS or side scan. If I was buying sonar only most likely would be Furno. Not sure if that unit has chirp or not (another requirement).

If you just have to have sidescan downview etc look up the new Garmin PANOPTIX system it shows forward a rear viewing with chirp 3 D and the like . Its on the Garmin website . It looks like it is aimed at the small boat market , so it may not apply to big water trolling at this point?

Edited by bigblue

Panoptix mounts on a trolling motor, Garmin rep I talked to says they will have forward looking sonar in two to three years which would mount on the back of the boat. Just found out the Garmin now has dual transom mounted side scan (one for each side of the outdrive), which will be available this week.

I think the next few years will see a lot of changes in the electronics market . Things are in a flux right now for me I will stick with my 4212 display and GMS24 sounder for now it won't side scan but it will pick up Kings laying in the mud at 200ft. You got my attention been looking at the Raymarine chirp and side scan stuff it's interesting for sure.