Sodus 4/28 - A "Feel-Good" Report,...

Yeah, "feel-good," like it will make you feel good that you're not alone if you're getting SKUNKED!

I thought that getting my brother off the floor Sunday morning was a challenge, but it turned out to not be nearly as big a challenge as putting a fish on a hook on Sunday. I can't understand it, he went to sleep at about 3am and I didn't wake him up until about 6:15 and he was nearly as slow as the fishing out there. I guess he's just not in Derby shape yet,...

Doesn't matter much I suppose, neither is the fishing.

Went west out of the chute and set up just east of Maxwell. The water there was not nearly as warm as I expected it to be. At about 7:30 it was only about 43 deg. F.

Trolled to Boller Point (the point west of Maxwell Creek) and got pinched by another westward troller. No biggie and hey, now I'm looking north, isn't that a fleet of sport fishing boats out there? Yup. Let's go!

The water did warm up a bit going out to about 200fow, but ch. 68 was deathly quiet virtually all day. None of those boats seemed to be busy. I'd say that the water was about 46 deg. F. in ~200fow, whereas it was 41-42 from 20' out to about 140fow, where it started to warm.

Went back inside at Hughes and trolled west to Sodus. The water looked good and was quite warm in several spots where small creeks flow into the lake, but no takers.

I tried running straight into Maxwell Creek from out in the lake and turned hard east just at the mouth of the creek. We had one release just as the lures were getting into the outflow. I grabbed it and started reeling away. Got some tension on the line, set the hook, had two headshakes and a fish jumped out of the water and then shook the hooks on a 11 size Rapala in black. I couldn't tell what it was, as it was still nearly 300'off the back of the boat. It wasn't big at any rate. Well, at least I know it was a fish that tripped the release and not the bottom.

We went back three more times through the outflow, but no more action. The water was the warmest I've seen on the lake so far this year. I had about 52.4 deg. F. in the brown water and it cooled off fairly quickly if you got out of it.

So there you have it; you are not alone (most of you, anyway) and if you caught fish in the Pultneyville to Port Bay vicinity you are a much better fisherman than I (not hard to be, but still a feat of some kind).

Yeah, let's have a west wind and set things of for the Derby. Or, let's have a south wind and make it easy for all of us. Or, let's figure out if all the salmonids are just stuffed to the gills with Gobies (see my related post coming to a LOU topic soon!) Or,.... I dunno. I'm out of answers as to why this skunk keeps following me around.

Regards to all,

Pierless

Neil

Neil we were one of those boats out there off shore and man did things pay off for us.....we took 2 kings over 15lbs, 1 atlantic, and a mixed bag of coho and steelhead all throughout the day. Never had a touch before 8:30am and then all hell broke loose. We had the wire take a shot at 90 back on a 3 setting w/ an opti dodger and a siggs green hypnotist, riggers from 20 to 70 down w/ purple and green nk dimple lites...and of course all surface rods were hot w/ jr thundersticks and yozuri's. Hope that helps....

fishdude4life,

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Geez, you all sure were quiet out there!

I found the warm water, but I never saw anything down there. I should have stayed out and set up more/deeper riggers. As I only had my brother out w/me and the program limited to 4 lines, I split it up, but never went down 70'.

Again,

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou,

for the report and the advice!

I'll be out there all Derby long. If you see an ugly old Islander with a white Hardtop, give "Pierless" a call on 68.

Cheers!

Pierless

Neil

fishdude4life,

Thanks for the tip on Ch. 8. It always used to be 68, but I am adaptable,.... I think.

Cheers,

Whoever you are, please, PLEASE kill the skink!

My compensation for your extermination is 101 proof.

Happy Derby All!

I'll be "off the air" (hangin' out on Ch. 8 instead) until Monday the 12th.

See you then,

Best Regards,

Pierless

Neil

Out