SD VS Flasher

Still a new comer to the sport and trying to fine tune my approach for the up coming spring season. Hoping to repeat last year's success. Just wanted some other guys opinions on witch they find more productive. Spin doctors or Flasher's???

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe that you will find most folks  using both. They have different action and sometimes the fish seem to prefer one over the other just as they may prefer a spoon over a fly but you never know which one on a given day or moment for that matter. It would be wise to have some of each in your arsenal as well as both spoons  (of various sizes and colors) and flies.  There have been a number of threads on here discussing which combinations seem to be popular. Be advised that the hot color or combo also is subject to change at a moments notice so in the long run having a variety may be fruitful.....with that said this is not an inexpensive sport :lol:

i agree with skate,there is no "definite" answer here.you need to have both.another thing to keep in mind is how you present each one,whether its on a rigger,wire,or copper.we usually split the boat with spinnies on one side and paddles on the other and let the fish tell you what they want,but like skate said,sometimes its neither and they want spoons,which happened quite abit last year.another thing to consider is your trolling speed.i believe spinnies can handle a higher trolling speed then paddles,so if you have spoons out and your speed is up abit,then you may want spinnies out instead of paddles.what ever you have out needs to "look good" in the water.and like what was stated above,its not an inexpensive sport!!!!

just about the time i convince myself that my pro-troll flashers are the hot ticket the spin doctors turn on and we catch a bunch of fish on them i guess there isn't a clear cut answer. the past couple of years i have been trying different lead lengths between the flasher or sd to the bait or fly. i have discovered that the old standard rule of thumb is only a place to start, if your not hitting fish, adjusting speed and lead length will usually start producing fish  good luck and tight lines!

Its funny how certain areas of the lake prefer one type of color or one type of flasher and I think there is actually something to the discrepancies from the West end compared to the East end.  For example, fishermen seem to prefer green protroll paddles and flies on the East end of the lake.  Conversely, West-enders generally use more Spin Docs and have more of a variety of colors that work.  My only take on the differences between the two areas is the water clarity.  Come summer the water off Oswego is warm, and loaded with nutrients to an almost yellow/green color.  Perhaps the protroll with its Echip clicking allows for the fish to find the bait in the more turbid water of the East end?  So when purchasing your paddles, consider what port you are fishing out of.

Its also pretty amazing how much shallower guys can catch kings toward the west end in the summer time.  Many times I have been talking to guys to the west catching fish 70 ft down and we have to fish over 100. They can be very different fisheries for sure. 

Since I'm Pro Staff for Hot Spot who were the originator of the plastic flasher I've never had the need to use a spin doc.

I've fished from St. Catherine's to Bowmanville but mainly in Port Credit. I use the 11" with cut bait and the 8" with a Howie fly. My top producer both with meat and a fly has been Bullfrog. That is until Hot Spot came out with the Agitator. Since I started using these, I tied up two in tandem and ran them right off the ball and then ran a Hot Spot Apex Popcorn or Rocket five feet above and behind the last Agitator. That combo has out-fished everything else I've had down. One thing about the Agitator is you can run a spoon or body bait directly behind them without interfering with their action.   

Since I'm Pro Staff for Hot Spot who were the originator of the plastic flasher I've never had the need to use a spin doc.

I've fished from St. Catherine's to Bowmanville but mainly in Port Credit. I use the 11" with cut bait and the 8" with a Howie fly. My top producer both with meat and a fly has been Bullfrog. That is until Hot Spot came out with the Agitator. Since I started using these, I tied up two in tandem and ran them right off the ball and then ran a Hot Spot Apex Popcorn or Rocket five feet above and behind the last Agitator. That combo has out-fished everything else I've had down. One thing about the Agitator is you can run a spoon or body bait directly behind them without interfering with their action.

Oh THAT is dirty, I love the concept. Thanks for sharing that technique!

I think I've seen this post a few times.... Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...