Trying to get my stick baits to run right

I have had almost no luck regarding stick baits and kings. I'm just wandering if they aren't running correct. The package says that they need to be a direct tie. Just wandering if anyone uses swivels or lead weights "X" amt. Of feet from the stick. Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I thought sticks were more common kings. That's what we caught the spring LOC winner on. Must have been pure luck. I have seen plugs but never ran any. Are they more common?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Reef Runners and Husky Jerks are OK if you find them in that skinny water 15-40', but many times spoons will out fish them. Fishing sticks for Salmon is much more common on the Canadian side in April. Tuning sticks is tough. You need to do the opposite of what you'd think to the piece you tie, or snap, to. Take needle nose pliers and tweak it a little, and most times that all it needs to run straight.

hey yankee- i thought us "old school" bass fisherman where the only ones that tunes stick and crankbaits lol.

topeye- as stated generaly stickbaits are not a first choice or in the spread for kings. As for your question about adding weight yes there are times when this is deadly off the boards. Adding split spots or the rubber core twist weights 6 to 8' up form the stick. I place the weights as far from the stick as possible (rod length) the amount of weight added depends on the depth you want to achieve. 

Rapala J-13's crush the Kings in the fall when the Kings are inside 20fow. We run them off the boards like you would brown fish in the spring. Have also taken a few spring Kings on smaller sticks when Brown fishing and they def do a number on them.

JakeyBaby - yup they can produce. i remember awhile back when we pounded the spring kings off I.bay with yo-zuri crystal minnow sticks for a week or so. Also got a bunch of bomber long a's with massive teeth marks from kings staging off the genny.  Sticks can produce kings but usually not a go to spread for us when target kings specifically. 

Stick baits behind planer boards and flatlined have long been a mainstay in the early spring along Canada's south shore for kings in 10-40 fow. Yet as YT noted the skinny water bite doesn't seem to last as long as it once did, and anglers are now able to run spoons in shallow effectively with divers and short cores. 

When the cold water pushes the kings  in close ,as it happened last spring LOc( water less than 30')  a stickbait program is my go to. I run them off the Boards & riggers. I like longer leads of 75 - 150' off boards & leads of up to 200' off my riggers. Back in the day, Pre NK, it was the only way we fished in the spring.

I like J 9 - 13 , F 11-13 sometimes, jointed  3 1/2 - 5 1/2 rebels a lot , Smithwicks ,etc. Water Clarity determines color to me.

I have some spoonbill rebels & other divers i run off the boards at times that have  saved the day.

My faves last year were bigger sizes in Blk/silver . i  have bright colors for cloudy - dirty water.

I use mono 12-15 lb. I tie DIRECT to a small split ring I add if it does not have one. I learned to take all my sticks to a small pond or the canal to tune each one under calm conditions.  . This can take time but is well worth it. When my mom &dad had  a  pool I stood on the deck & did it there to her dismay.

You need to learn the dive rate of each stick so as  to not snag up. A J 13 200' back on a rigger can dive as much as 15' w/ lighter line so watch out. Rebels only go about 8' on same lead.  I sometimes only put them down  2' on the rigger.

It is a great way to fish at times. I  did well w/ kings last  spring LOC when I got out .

I think some of you would be surprized how many kings are in water from 12- 30 ' when the temps & conditions are right.

Edited by Has Been

The way I tune a stick is to tie it on the line; let out 6-8 ft of line.  Put it on the port side of the boat and look at it.  Then put it on the starboard side.  If it looks the same on both sides, you're ready to go.  It not then tweak the eyelet.  Sometimes 1 hit can knock it out of whack.

Tom B.

(LongLine)