Old spoons

kchamp

First pic to the right of text  looks like 4 Heddon Sculpins, third pic with two jointed lures are Great Lakes Oakie Dokies, first two pics to left underneath look like Sonic "Chargers" or "Sounders", third pic on bottom spoon to left is Great Lakes spoon and Andy Reeker, and last at bottom right are two Great Lakes and a Reeker. Oakie Dokie best for lakers, the others good for Lakers, rainbows, browns and landlocks when used on the Finger Lakes. The Great Lakes spoons have great action and are really especially good spoons.

Edited by Sk8man

Way to go Les! I was looking on eBay and saw some Sutton44 look alikes by spoon man1. Anyone try these? Looking to add a few to the box..

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nautitroller, though they look a lot like Suttons, they are not spring brass, they are a different metal, and hard to "tune" without stressing the metal. Also, I don't know if they are silver plate. Tuned hammered B/S Suttons out fish "out of the tissue paper" by a wide margin for me. An exagerrated "S" curve in 44s, 22s, 31s, and especially the larger 88s makes a world of difference at sub-2mph trolling speeds. Add a hand-fished sweep, pause trolling motion, and lakers love those tuned Suttons. Go Slowww ! On and off humps, back and forth onto and off of reefs, contours, close always as close to bottom as you can without picking up zebras. The Spoonman copies are better than heavy metal, but if you can find Suttons, break out the wallet , hold your nose, and buy them !

Thanks for the info. All the old school guys swear by em. I bet there is a place and time for each fish, presentation, depth, speed, temps, time of year. All factors to get the older big Lakers to hit. Problem usually is to weed thru the little guys.. can't wait to get back out.

Sutton's combine some very good characteristics that make them great spoons. They are silver plated over spring brass and therefore very light weight which makes them truly "flutter" in the water and the silver plating reflects further than other finishes under water. They are very easy to "tune" and apparently give a real good representation of wounded or dying alewives in the water. Although a number of my Sutton's are lying at the bottom of Seneca Lake :lol: and over the years I've given away many to friends  I still have over a hundred plus left and I truly cherish them and wouldn't ever think of parting with them for any price....and the 44's aren't the only "good" ones despite their popularity :)

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They have always been great spoons and tolerate speed pretty well for the salmonids. Like Suttons, Evil Eyes and others they demonstrate firsthand that "newer" isn't always "better" in the lure department :lol:

Not to Hyjack this thread which is very interesting the old school lures worked well because they were sold with the intent to catch fish, now a days the role has changed yes the fisherman still pay for them, but the newer lures catch fisherman. People complain about paying $10 for a proven Sutton turn around and pay in the higher teens to nearly $20 for a Japanese or Chinese lures because "man these lures have to catch fish" jmo.

• 1 month later...

Pap I completely agree I think I catch fish just as well as the next guy on the finger lakes using my dads hand-me-down old spoons with older tactics I have been buying some of the newer stuff aswell but 9 times out of 10 the best producer award usually goes to a spoon that's older than I am a lot of that time its a Sutton 44, 29 or my personal favorite a 72

In the finger lakes...

Do you guys think the overall bait profile has changed from smelt to alewifes? Do you think the fish are eating more perch fry and gobies? Sculpin are there too. I think that fish, like deer know what is best for their diet per that time of year. Or are they just opportunity eaters? I believe that if you match the hatch (what they are eating now) you will catch em. Will any lure that is shiny catch a fish? sure but the one that fools that big fish is the one that sometimes makes a difference. That lure may be the one that matches what's in its belly and that is why we need to keep experimenting with colors and shapes. Dial em in.