Fish Hawk "Breakaway cable"

tlr426

I use a scotty snubber in between the probe and ball. So far so good

Yup, that's what we do. Probe is connected to the downrigger cable. Cable terminates to snubber, and weight is attached to the snubber. It reduces sudden jerks on the downrigger, and if something's going to brake, then it will be the snubber, saving the probe.

Regular down rigger cable is 120 or 150 pound test. Break away is 80#.

If you want to,you can use salt water 80 pound leader material and make your own cable.

Like everything else,check your gear.

Edited by rolmops

• 2 years later...

I didn't require stitches but I used mine for the first time this weekend and same result. I very nice cut on the finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious here but you should not be handling the cables... not bad for cable but obviously not flesh friendly.  If your not using already both scotty and cannon make a weight / retro retriever.  I prefer the scotty but if you have terminated your rigger cable using a cannon kit you have to re do it.  Crimp style terminators included with scotty retrievers.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Downrigger-Retriever-Fairlead-78-Inch/dp/B001M4HT0W

Cabezon99, I use the cannon weight retriever but my weight was still to low. Like I said it was my first time using the fish hawk and already made the modifications so it won't happen again. Thank for the advice.

OK, did not consider the fact that I am NOT DaVinci's Vitruvian Man... arm span longer than height so when I pull my transducer and weight to the side of my boat I can reach the ball.  I do however have to put up with comments from my family when sitting at the dinner table like "reach into the kitchen and grab something for me"

Go go gadget arm. Lol. Back to Tom, are you flush mounting the cannons ? or do you have risers, pedestals? Thinking the risers might help me out.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 1:43 PM, Silver Fox said:

I don't, cause I'll trip if I do....

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That string across your living room to your mantle could be dangerous in the dark!

Edited by GAMBLER