How are you staying sane?

chowder

I was the one who called Lowrance.  I had been meaning to call them because my new HDI 7 keeps restarting. I called the technical support department and was told that there is no way to upgrade the HDI to a CHIRP. The internal hardware is different.  He was telling me about the update and felt that this would cure my constantly restarting unit. 

This is my first Lowrance product and so far not good.

The way I look at it the Elite 7HDI is better than my previous Lowrance unit in terms of giving me information and basically the CHIRP just clears up things a bit with a little better target separation and definition (resolution). For years I used paper graphs and flashers so having the color (to discriminate better the bottom hardness etc.), GPS integrated, and the ability to discriminate structure more clearly is light years from before and I've been looking at bait and fish and structure  long enough in these different lakes  to be able to assess things pretty good so having the newest latest greatest thing isn't an absolute necessity anyway. The most important aspect of these units is learning to use them properly and fully and being able to see your downriggers etc....they are just one tool in the box anyhow. You can have the newest fanciest unit with the largest screen and if you don't adequately understand how to use it and interpret what the data is telling you you're no further ahead than being without one. :)

Pap your project sounds like something that might help to drive you insane.

No not really, I went from an old Eagle black and white unit to the hdi, and I'm really happy with it, matter of fact it's to good I spend more time watching at the downscan looking at structures and drop offs than fishing, but I guess the newness will wear off, I keep finding other tricks this thing can do every trip out and with the Navionics chip with contours and depth amaze me, then again I'm a simple man it doesn't take much to keep me happy.

Justgrinning, those are some impressive looking spoons, it's always nice to see the work of a fisherman producing something they know works. Excellent job. Ever think about making some for sale? Or is it just a hobbie? Thanks for sharing your talent. PAP.

Justgrinning, those are some impressive looking spoons, it's always nice to see the work of a fisherman producing something they know works. Excellent job. Ever think about making some for sale? Or is it just a hobbie? Thanks for sharing your talent. PAP.

Pap, just for fun don't want it to be a job or hassle ie this spoon caught X number of fish and now it has scratches on it kinda thing.