Holy Chit Mon ......she is icing over.

Gill-T

I was keeping up with the dismal salmon and brown trout reports all summer last season. I had a miserable brown trout trip in April. My question is what effect did last years cold winter and ice coverage have on walleye, bass, pike and panfish? Nobody really ever mentions that and reports are a litte harder to come by for other species. I had a great June trip fishing for pike and smallies  in the 1000 islands. 

We had a spectacular browns season on both ends of the lake and a great early to mid season on steel and salmon. It was late season that was lack luster for me. 

This was exactly what happened to us.We caught a load of kings on our ten day late may trip from Olcott to tbe bar, but we had a tough time with much slower than normal early and late August trips.Even the offshore fishing which is usually very good for us was lousy.The offshore steelie bite thats usually very good sucked as well.

I hope this coming season is not a repeat of that

Sept 7 to the 20th the kings were thick in 100'. They were a full three weeks late, on the bar. The lake flipped on the west end on sept 1. The surface temp from the canadian line to four mile was 34 degrees. Forget 2014 and heres to a quick warm up in march. This is gonna be a great year...KINGS RULE!!!

Forcast for March is terrible ...................... 2 days all month over the average daily highs and 24 days at or BELOW the average lows......

BUT the good news is that there is no way Lake Ontario is ice covered %84 to %85 surface covered.  Living and working on the lake shore everyday, I glass offshore from Orleans co.-Monroe Co. and Wayne co. every week. I travel to Canada virtualy once a week, driving south shore line. ( visability is Much much farther the colder the lake's surface temps) There is also the widest part of Lake Ontario -53 miles Rochester area I see 6 days a week......200' to 300' hard pack shoreline ice at most locations, floating ice packs moving daily offshore. NO WAY ONLY %15 open water out there.

Side note: there have been no dead/starvation diving ducks this winter for me. That means open water in closer/shallower waters and sufficient bait there, unlike last winter.

Jerry

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

The extended forecast changes daily. Yesterday it looked amazing while today it looks terrible. It's a guess at best. Driving along the lake today I realized there is no where near the amount of shore ice that there was last year.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lake Ontario ice coverage last Wed. Feb 18th was %82.6 ( if it was that much ice coverage then Syracuse would not receive the near record amount of Lake effect snowfall in Feb) and Feb 23rd  Lake Ontario ice is %59.9  ... They are getting closer to reality...

Jerry

Modis image shows maybe 30% coverage.....all from Mexico Bay and North.  If the Shove ice gets wedged into Mexico Bay it may be a long time before it is fishable this spring.

To much ice in lake erie. The fish are gonna be late to the bar. Like stated in previous posts, you aregonna need some shallow water that shoots up to 40 degrees. The genny, port deluse, oak orchard. No fish at the bar til' may. Port deluse is another great option.

Edited by baitrigger

here is a good link to webcams that let you see up to date water / ice conditions of the lake. it is mostly "mid lake" ( Rochester to Sodus ) but it gives a good idea of the conditions. i use the sodus lighthouse cam for checking wave conditions and weather when heading out of Fair Haven.

http://weather.weatherbug.com/NY/Webster-weather/weather-cams/local-cams.html?zcode=z6286&stat=WBSTR&camera_id=WBSTR