Holy Chit Mon ......she is icing over.

Gill-T

HAHAHA  Chad,

Ice is what pulls my 10 ton brakekwall rocks into lake, the lower shore ice breaks up first and ice remains on top/frozen-frost line like to the flat boulders and becomes top heavey , then from strong winds/splashing waves,  Next thing they literaly role into lake.

I have a big increase this week in dead and land bound diving ducks in the yard and on parkway. I still drive to Canada every weekend, and doing Buffalo sportsman show this Sat.  Will update then.

Nice to know who I can call at midnite to help board up my lakeside windows from flying ice.....

Jerry

We need a new expression to capture the magnitude of the weather phenomena.  Try this one on....."the Bills will make the playoffs.... when fellucaville freezes over".    :P

Edited by Gill-T

Another good shot from two days ago.  You can see ice is still building and will continue because the St. Lawrence does not open to shipping until AT LEAST March 25th and may be longer due to ice and weather.  If the ice is backed up all the way to the seaway and the ice cutters don't start breaking it up, Sodus to Mexico ice is not going anywhere  :( and will continue to grow as the loose pack ice keeps coming in.  YUK!

a1.15068.1743.LakeOntario.143.250m_zpsdn

For the first time since December, the lake water temp coming in our intake at work went up to 35 degrees. It's not much but it is progress!

What was the coldest temp you guys ever recorded? How deep is the intake pipe, I know you mentioned this before, just curious. Thanks.

The coldest I have seen in five years was 33 degrees and that was last year. This year it stayed at 34 degrees all winter. Last season it stayed at 33 for a month and a half. The intake is in fifty foot of water. Three winters ago it did not get below 37 degrees.

I fish out of sandy which is miles west but I can see the thermalcline movements before I go. I have also learned even more about wind direction and affects on the thermalcline. I usually call work when I get up in the morning to see what happened with the thermalcline overnight. Sometimes it is helpful and sometimes it is not.

At least the St. Lawrence is flowing again.  The Niagara looks like the annual chalky road salt run-off season has begun.

Really need the St Lawrence to open up more, it can't happen soon enough.  

We had a tripped booked for Mexico Bay the week of April 6th (Spring Break for the local schools) and it's not looking good at all.