furuno

Feelin Reel

Do yourself a favor and go Thru hull, much better readings while on plane!!! Then you also won't have to worry about cable length.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Rich D

Just a minor FYI -  If you have surface temp capability in your unit and wish to rely on it for that purpose be aware that with an in-hull installation it will be measuring your hull temperature not the surface temp of the water.

Edited by Sk8man

I think a lot is made of nothing when it comes to using a thru hull vs a properly mounted transom mount  transducer. I also don't operate a real large boat where it may be more advantageous to use a thru hull. I can mark bottom going 50 mph and mark fish and my downriggers trolling and that is what is most important to me and I'd rather not change the integrity of my hull in any way whatsoever but again that is a personal decision....like many things on here whatever works for you is the way to go :)

Thru hull ducer is the way to go hands down. That B60 referenced is the cats azz especially if you trailer. However, a thru hull with a faring block will give you a little better picture. Running out each morning watching my graph for bait is key, and it can save you both time and gas. You don't want to run over bait that has moved in with the break because you caught them out there yesterday. Many times the fish may not be on the leading edge of that bait, but they aren't too much further. With a transom mount ducer you cant see these things at 15-20mph.

Some very good points made....but at least with my situation I can mark bait and fish real well at 10 mph or perhaps a little more and it sure wouldn't be worth it to me to cut a hole in the hul for the difference. When I'm "looking" that's all I want to be going anyway so I'm not running past stuff. Again some of this related to personal preferences and habits and you know what they say about "old dogs" and tricks :lol: