Finger Lakes Anglers - a request.....

Sk8man

I recently was in touch with the Region 8 DEC folks and they were lamenting the fact that Angler Diary Cooperator (trout and salmon) participation has dropped off markedly in most of the Finger Lakes. The data they collect from the diaries is used to formulate their stocking strategies as well as to check on the health of the fishery in each of the lakes. As such the data is also vital to us sport fishermen. Some folks complain about the DEC efforts and perhaps their strategies and practices but I also have to wonder if they are or even have been involved in the data collection efforts or provided specific feedback about their concerns or experiences. I would also add that Emperor Cuomo has not helped matters any either with his bugetary and staffing cuts and most of the politicians as well. The DEC folks need all the help they can get. There is an ever present need to be actively involved in trying to make our sport the best it can be and especially to be good stewards for the next generation of fishermen. Please consider becoming a diary cooperator and adding your valuable data and input into this process. I suspect that the folks in Region 7 have a similar situation.  It is really a very simple process to record the data in the booklet they provide. When the season is finished they send each cooperator a summary of the data and it also allows you to determine how your efforts are stacking up with fellow fishermen and it provides a rich account of your fishing habits from year to year and where you caught fish throughout the season. Obviously it is very important to provide honest accurate data. Here is a pic of an example of the data:

Here is the contact info for Region 8 (lakes from Seneca to the west):   New York State Department Of Environmental Conservation

Division of Fish, Wildlife, and marine Resources

Bureau of Fisheries

6274 Avon-Lima Road

Avon, New York 14414-9516

Phone: 585-226-2466          Fax:(585) 226-6323

Website: www.dec.ny.gov

post-145411-0-08898000-1424711537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

We've been doing it for years... Not just to help DEC but you can look back on each season and see what you caught them on and where you caught the fish ... Yes its great to help future generations out but also use it to help yourself out and increase your own catch rates...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you sk8man for posting this topic. I beleive that the diary studies provide a lot of valuable information that the DEC can use in conjunction with other data that they collect in order to assess and manage the health of out fisheries throughout the state. Not only for trout and salmon, but for all species in OUR lakes and streems. I capitalized "our" on purpose to emphisize the importence for all anglers to take part in helping to manage the resources we all enjoy using, so that we and future generations will be able to enjoy all the great angling opportunities that we have in New York for years to come as well as continuing to improve on them. We owe it to ourselves and future generations. Also, Joining conservation minded clubs can be a way to give even more by volunteering to help with projects as well as a way to gain an understanding of what is involved in managing our fisheries. There is also the bonus of making new friends and learning things that will make you a better angler.

Muskies Inc. Chapter 69 just started participating in diary studies for Conesus Lake and Waneta Lake last year. Even if you only fish a few times a year, the information that you can provide is helpful. I would like to see more fishing clubs getting involved in participating and promoting the diary studies as well as volunteering to help with field operations and promoting a conservation mindset amongst all anglers. In the state of Wisconsin, there is a great deal of colaberation and cooperation between fishing and other outdoor clubs and organizations and their DNR, and their great resources are testimony to the success of these kinds of cooperative efforts. Working in groups and partnering with other groups can also have an impact on raising more public and private funds and focussed effort for our fisheries while at the same time improving habitat for other wildlife.

Another club that I am in, The Niagara Musky Association, has been participating in diary studies for the Niagara River and Buffalo Harbor for many years. I haven't been participating in it but I intend to this year because I usually fish those waters at least 3 or 4 times per year.

If you fish wates in more than one region each season, you can contact the regional DEC office to find out if they are conducting a diary study for the waters you fish or you might be able to fnd out on th DEC website. They will send you a diary at the beginning of the season and then they will send you a postage paid envelope at the end of the season to mail it back to them. Even if you don't catch any fish, the informatin is helpful to detemine the average angler hours of effort per fish caught. Also, the more anglers that participate, the more accurate the data will be.

You are welcome Steve and thanks for picking up where I "left off" too. I had intended to mention about other species too despite my focus being on trout and salmon because I know my friend Justin (justracytrolling) is also very concerned and involved in this effort specific to walleyes so whatever we can do as a group for any of the species were data is being requested by DEC and we fish for them it would behoove us to do our part in helping out.

Thanks Les for posting this. Now lets see if we can get some more people to commit to this, come on you lurkers! As you said the DEC is way under budgeted and the biologists are doing a lot of guessing, they can use all the info they can get. We all enjoy taking someone out to catch fish or catching them ourselves - it really doesn't take that much time to fill in the book, probably less time than putting a post on here, and we all will benefit from it. 

Bob

Sk8man......New recruit for long time fingers enthusiast. Where have I been?...... I'm in!..... Thanks for posting this......Anyone who frequents (any of) them fishing should get with it! Maybe save and re-post this regularly (quarterly..biennially??) to snag more folks into it.... :nod: ....Thanx!    :yes:

For Keuka fishermen here is an excerpt from the summary letter that may suggest the importance of the data collection:

"Recent changes in the lake as a result of introduction of aquatic invasive species, decreases in forage abundance, and increases in lake trout abundance may be negatively impacting brown trout and Atlantic salmon. As I have indicated in the recent past, if catch of both species remains low, elimination of one or both of the stocking programs need to be considered as these fish may be more cost effectively used in other water bodies in New York"  (Brad E. Hammers, Senior Aquadic Biologist)

I did this for 2 years.  They send you back alot of great info on largest catches of the year in the fingerlakes if I recall correctly.  It is kind of a pain when you boat 30 fish in a day.  But it goes towards a great cause... FISH ON!!

Edited by vogel451

• 1 month later...

I just received my diary a week or two ago, and wanted to bring this up again.  Never to late if you want to sign up, and especially for Owasco anglers.  Only 10 contributors last year and I know the state was considering cutting down brown and rainbow stockings...   Here is a list of the results: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27875.html

Edited by alex1young

Sk8man,

A couple more thoughts. Each region has a DEC run FWMB (Fish WIldlife Management Board) with sportsmans reps. In region 7 the board is very active and quite often influnce policy regulation changes. Most important though is we see a definite disconnect between Albany and the regional folks. Quite often the region folks look to us to make a stink to Albany when changes are needed as they do not listen to the regional people. While there may be times we disagree with some of the things that come out of our regions, more time than not it was directed from Albany who has no clue about regional differences. That is why I pushed a year ago for the State of the Finger Lakes meetings. We need more people on board to advocate for the Finger Lakes. Also as far as the diary program it does not matter if you fish 5 times a year or 55 times a year. All that data is important regardless. 

Thanks for the topic as usual Sk8man.

Dennis you are very welcome :)  You bring up excellent points.  I spent over 30 years with the state in a different agency and Albany (especially Emperor Cuomo listens to nobody) The only thing they respond to and fear is something getting ahead of them in the newspaper) and then they merely dump it in the lap of the regional agency and blame them for the problem despite its actual origin.  No matter what the agency the regional offices and staff have little say in anything (especially budgetary) and even when asked for "input" because of public outcry any info submitted by a regional agency is totally ignored.  I do think doing whatever we an to advocate at the personal and group level can have impact in Albany if it is publicly brought to light (eg. Representative or Senator on the news or on TV etc. or news station doing a special report)

Great topic Les.  It's amazing how few folks do this.  I started in the program last year.  I also just posted the NYSDEC info from their fishing hotline on our Seager Marine Blog.  I think the numbers will go up this year which will help us all in the end!  Thanks!

One more thing on the diary program is fact that you can check for boat,ice, or shore fishing. Access for many without boat increases in winter and there is good cold water shore fishing at times as well. A lot of lakers came through the ice past couple years on the lakes, and that is important data as well. I know on Owasco, far more people ice fish for lakers when conditions allow than you will see on lake in summer.

Thanks Ted and very good point Dennis. Here is a personal example (so you can see what is involved and how simple it is to record) of my first trout entry for 2015 from ice fishing while fishing for perch. The diary information when saved for year after year allows you to see patterns in the fishing and is a good way to document things for your own use while helping  DEC and our sport.

post-145411-0-61475900-1429145081_thumb.jpg