Wicked Tuna

I figure a lot of people on here watch the show to get through the winter. I just watched Sunday nights episode and was wondering about the "slime" as Dave from the Tuna.com called it. Is that the same thing as the sand fleas we get? Looked pretty similar and I thought it was kind of strange that the first time they have an issue with it on the show was the same year they were so terrible for most of us. I also noticed Tyler and his crew drinking beers while out fishing which I thought was pretty ballsy with a captains license and plenty of cameras around.

the slime  is nowhere near  the **** you guys get in  the Big O    comes right off.      They   film   a whole  season  and then put pieces  together. You  can notice sometimes  they say they are in one place  and the seas are  6 feet   and then talk to another boat nearby  and the seas are calm. 

I've watched it since the very first episode and greatly enjoy it although a couple of the characters can be real jerks (Tyler is a spoiled brat and Dave from Tuna.com is arrogant and egotistical) I guess they make for drama if you're into it but I really think Dave Marciano is the best of the bunch both in terms of character and as a fisherman. There are as mentioned  a few segments that are pieced together oddly but the guys that do the editing probably aren't actually fishermen so they may not be as alert to that stuff as we might be.  A lot of times "shorts" don't recover in the real world but you never see any fish go belly up either which would probably bring out all the animal rights folks...

Another thing I've noticed time and time again is that many of them put way too much tension on the line when fighting the fish,,,,I know they want to get them in quickly but they also have a lot of unnecessary spit hooks or break offs which could be better managed with the drag. You'll also notice that they pull their non involved rods when they have a fish on which is what I also do with large wild kings but many folks on LOU feel is unnecessary.....I know they are way different fish but the underlying principle is the same.

Edited by Sk8man

actually the principle is way different....those guys are commercial fishing.... The longer those fish fight, the more acid built up in the Tuna's flesh.... That's why they gaff em, and tow em to cool them down before cleaning them....  Great lakes guys are in it for the fight....sport fishing....  If we wanted to just crank em in, guys would have the telephone poles and big reels from the old snagging days...    

I agree that Tyler is a douche....Dave.com is a total type A personality...but he is a Hell of a Tuna Fisherman..... Dave Hard Merchandise really needs to restore that tub...  My favorite boat has to be Hot Tuna.....relaxed Capt and a sweet ride....

I agree with most parts it's pieced together pretty badly with the different conditions. I like Dave C the best he's just a hard nosed fisherman that wants to get it done and he has by far IMO the best mate. Marciano and Hot Tuna are second because they're every day guys guys it seems. I'd love to try it out for a summer make a lot of money or go broke you're still fishing.. That being said I don't wanna miss the salmon season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You'll also notice that they pull their non involved rods when they have a fish on which is what I also do with large wild kings but many folks on LOU feel is unnecessary.....I know they are way different fish but the underlying principle is the same.

I've got to ask.....How do you know when you hook a large WILD King Salmon!?!?!?!?

That reminded me of when FK Sportfishing knew they lost a fish over 30lbs 100yards from the boat.

Edited by Yankee Troller

If we wanted to just crank em in, guys would have the telephone poles and big reels from the old snagging days...    

High teens Salmon from 100' down 23 seconds by Mr. Casey Prisco Memorial day about 3 years ago on the Yank. Fish hit the rigger he set the hook hard 5 times, and cranked. We all pizzed ourselves laughing.

What I was referring to is the fact that not all kings "go nuts" (e.g. run straight for the motor or go radically from side to side getting into the other stuff) and you can manage them with the other lines out but when you have a very active fish on it may be beneficial (or wise) to clear at least some of the lines near where he is going.

What I was referring to is the fact that not all kings "go nuts" (e.g. run straight for the motor or go radically from side to side getting into the other stuff) and you can manage them with the other lines out but when you have a very active fish on it may be beneficial (or wise) to clear at least some of the lines near where he is going.

Isn't that just common sense when their heading towards other lines?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ahhh.....that makes more sense. For a minute I thought you had an adapost fin detector on your lures.  :rofl:

Absolutely love this show. I usually hate reality shows, and most aren't very real. This ones different, sure there are some staged scenes but when the cameras rolling for as many hours as they do with these guys most of it is authentic. When a "payday" is on the line after sitting hours, days, weeks they could care less about how they should act . Those of us who have had cameras rolling during tournaments would attest to this fact. I enjoy the camraderie these guys share despite the egos and competition. Like I've said before they love/hate each other and despite all the dockside and radio banter would cut a tuna loose and risk their own lives to save each other. Just like farming here in the U.S., it's a real valid lifestyle--they are feeding the world and in a tradition that has carried on for centuries. That being said, I don't care one bit for the harpooning. Not even the same game, and using airplanes to boot, the profits got to go out the window and its more hunting than fishing.

I did not care for Tyler when he showed up, but I thought once he was humbled last season he would grow up. He's very important to that show as he  plays the "villian" role easily. He talks smack like no other but adds a lot of drama to the cast. I think hes alot sharper than they make him out to be. I love Dave and Sandro as a team, and appreciate their approach--all business. Marciano is definitely the personality and "old salt" and if you could stand the cigarette smoke would be the best guy to have a beer with dockside. It was excruciating to watch footage of the Bounty hunter, he was just "shot". Those of us on here that have traveled around the lake here can see the similarites in their scene and the Lake O scene and thats what I get the biggest kick out of. The Tuna themselves are the ultimate pelagics and absolutely beautiful creatures. They have the same body shape as mature Summer Kings. I would love to carve out the time to fish for those beasts, but considering the amount of time it takes to get bit I feel very fortunate here on Lake O even in the more challenging seasons.    

Great show. Love seeing the open (not frozen) water and the boats, especially during this winter.  No doubt my favorite show. Hard Merchandise is my favorite of the fleet. Just something about Dave that is real. I too don't care for the aerial spotting/harpooning, just doesn't seem like fair chase.