Big planer board issues

Chas0218

So I'm planning on using my big boards this year to pull a couple a copper rigs. I am currently using the homemade boards with some lead across the bottom to keep them from flipping. They have only flipped twice and was because of operator error. Anyway last season while pulling 6 deep diving cranks per a side at 2mph my boards would stop moving forward and pull sideways this caused one to dive and flip.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen? I was thinking it might have the eye too far towards the rear?

I used the plans to make these under the homemade mast and boards.

Thanks,

Chas

Sent from my thinking car!

Here is a photo of it running. Yes I know they are upside down but they seem to pull better this way. 

Planerboards_zps55539d1a.jpg

This is the only other photo I have.  The board in the front is the one the eye bolt is connected to as you can see if ran normally the 3 holes next to each other are where I would connect the tow line.  I would like to get these boards to run in their normal way, I think they might be diving because the tip is inverted.

1107112041_zpsq3zan9vi.jpg

I don't have a photo of the board plowing/pulling sideways behind the boat. But basically the board starts to rock clockwise and counter clockwise to the tow line then want to dive. I am thinking that in my design if ran normally the tow line point is too low.

Tough to see but here is one more.

20140531_163525_zpssp84yqfg.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

Because of that they are "digging in" and diving. They should ride like the bow of a boat.

the biggest influence on how they pull are that eyebolt location. the trick is to drill a few holes and try them until you find something that works best. Planer board line can also affect how a board runs especially if it is dangling in the water. Power pro will help your boards pull better vs standard dacron planer board line.

Right now the line doesn't touch the water except near the board. So first thing Ill change is the board orientation to correct the diving, then the eye bolt. Now when it comes to the eye bolt is higher on the board better or towards the middle?

i would move your eyebolt toward the top of the board. this will allow the board to sit lower in the water. When the eyebolt is towards the bottom of the board the planer line is actually lifting the board out of the water somewhat. You want as much of the board in the water as possible. I found that moving the eyebolt back 1.5 -2" from the plans made a huge difference.

Agreed just looking at it, the eye bolt looks a bit low... could be causing the opposite side to dip down a bit and want to dive as the eye bolt ski pulls up out of the water from the tow line. 

If you get tired of wasting your time playing with the boards and want to focus on fishing, just buy amish boards and you'll never worry or think about it again  :)  

Last spring FishUSA had them on sale for $139/set... can't beat that!

Agreed just looking at it, the eye bolt looks a bit low... could be causing the opposite side to dip down a bit and want to dive as the eye bolt ski pulls up out of the water from the tow line. 

If you get tired of wasting your time playing with the boards and want to focus on fishing, just buy amish boards and you'll never worry or think about it again  :)  

Last spring FishUSA had them on sale for $139/set... can't beat that!

I thought about the amish boards or the great lakes planers boards either set look great and from what everyone says run great too.

maybe its just the pic but it looks like your board are even with each other they should be off set with the inside ski 6 inches or so farther foreward than your outside ski.  the eye bolt can be about a third of the way back just about mid line but you want it to stick out 6 inches and be bent upward so the attachment point is about even with the top of the board this will offset the line higher while keeping the pressure on the board even.  if the snow ever melts enough for me to get to the boat i will take a pic of the home made board I was given.  they are from the 80s.  I have done everything possible to flip them and never been successfull even to tight of turns in rough water where the line went slack. or a full out motor stall running into the wind (not recommended) they run low and true and consistant even when they catch a weed pod in the finger lakes.  I can usually just tug the toe line a couple times and enough junk clears that they fish normal.

These I made several years back and they pull like a mule. Each board was like 21" long. (orange ones) Never had them flip. But don't use them anymore as I went to otter boats a couple years ago.

bjm15_zps07f5b5d5.jpg

How tall are those?

Sent from my thinking car!

A suggestion

I don't pull copper but I do pull large musky baits with my homemade double boards. What I found was that it helps to use long eye bolts (about one third back) on the boards I made and to bend them up vertically to increase the lift of the far board so it does not start to dig in or submarine. I also think with the bent eye bolts that there is a more direct pull with water line drag being reduced. My boards are similar to those previously shown and made out of light pine that I sealed with varnish. The pine was recycled from an old wooden drawer.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I pull 5 leader rigs with 60 oz of lead off my home made planer boards attached to a bunji cord and have no problem in the finger lakes. I can even run (2) 00 dipsey divers off the cable at the same time. For some reason on my phone, I can't see your pics, but I will try and get some pics of the boards I use and post them for you.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hi Chas,

I originally raised the eye bolts up on my boards. However changing to a longer bolt bent up really does seem to work better, could be some sort of mechanical advantage - I don't know.

The idea is not mine I found it recommended by someone else and just tried it.

Great Lakes, I am interested in seeing your pictures with the bungie cord.

Hi Chas,

I originally raised the eye bolts up on my boards. However changing to a longer bolt bent up really does seem to work better, could be some sort of mechanical advantage - I don't know.

The idea is not mine I found it recommended by someone else and just tried it.

Great Lakes, I am interested in seeing your pictures with the bungie cord.

I also use a long threaded rod bent to pull on the board as well. I will try and post them tomorrow.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Had a family emergency the last few days, but I will post pics of the boards I use as soon as I can. They are currently under over a foot of snow on the bow of my boat, but I will get them up as soon as I can. I am also making a new set for next year as these have some age on them and are beginning to fall apart.