Whats the best line for brown trout

hondo573

Getting things prepared for the upcoming spring. Its time to reline the old brown trout reels. Was just going to put the old faithful on there but figured id reach out and see if there is something new that has come along i may want to try. Looking for 12 or 15 lbs test. Like always stealthy is better.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For browns I use 12lb Trilene Big Game Mono (Clear) on the Rigger rods (Ugly Stik 8'3" L), with a 10lb Seaguar Fluoro Leader.  On Planer Rods used on big boards flat-lined, I use my walleye set-ups with 10lb Trilene Big Game Mono (Clear), with a 10lb Seaguar Fluoro Leader (Ugly Stik 8'3" L).  My 3,4,5,6 color Leadcores I neck down to a 12lb Seaguar Fluoro Leader - also ran on the big boards (Okuma Classic Pro GLT 7'6" ML).

Trilene Big Game Mono is cheap, effective, and has worked for me on all Walleye/Brown set-ups.  I also use 20lb Big Game as backer on all of my leadcores (hi-vis Green).

Good luck and have fun spooling!

You won't go wrong with that advice from FleetTracker. I do about the same only when fishing the Finger Lakes I use 6-8 lb fluoro leader.

You want to go as light as your rods can handle. This is very important. I like 8-10lb Fluoro in the Central/Western basin, but my current rigger rods bottom out at 12lb test. Therefore, I know with clients I am not going to leader down to 10lb test on those. 

Another important factor is your main line. We like to run 15lb test or more, and then leader down with a double length of the rod Fluoro leader. The heavier main line will float your baits a little better, and allow you to get in shallower when that water starts to clear and stacks fish on the beach.

In the clearer Eastern basin guys are going to 6lb leaders fairly common. It's important you have a rod that isn't so powerful that it will crack 6lb test.

how do guys land 15-20 lb spring kings on 6 lb fluro

Carefully. We run 8lb maxigreen on fully spooled Daiwa 47 lc reels. The rod is the key! We use eagle Claw 8' lights -very, very flexible rod. Have handled numerous spring kings on these setups. you can't be in a hurry and you need to be on your toes! I usually cut off a rod length of line each time I start out fishing.

Must admit I do not use a leader (don't like swivels or extra knots) and some of these rods are spooled with 6 lb maxi and have only size 27 reels(I have been spooled on those rigs before and try not to run them on LO but there are times when I pull them down from the arch cuz they have a stick all tied on and I've got a break off on another. We usually run 4 rods /side + 1 down the chute. Not sure they make the Starfire 401 1 piece rod anymore- mine are probably 10 years old.

Have had some success with 30# power pro and 10-12# trilene floro.  The PP holds up well to planer use and you can always go lighter on the floro.  PP seems to last for me -- into season 8 this year.

There is no wrong answer here....the considerations are water clarity, lure size and fish size.  I error on the side of too heavy because I hate loosing $10 rapalas!!!!!

I fish out of Mexico. I run 10lb Sliver Thread main line on light action okuma Kokanee rods and Ugly stick rods. They're rated for 4-10lb line. I run Okuma Convector cv15d's. Caught Browns to 15lbs on them and Kings to 20lbs.

Total Chaos

how do guys land 15-20 lb spring kings on 6 lb fluro

Years ago I had Joe Ognibene of the Outdoor Scene fishing show out for a light line film shoot. We boxed a July 34lb on IGFA Ande 4lb line. He had to edit out a lot of the fight, it was a 30 minute show with about 20 minutes airtime available for actual fishing time. The entire fight took 65 minutes from hook-up to net. Marlowe Beis fought the fish, I was on the net. 

Joe told me a few years later that it was his most requested show to replay.

I've also fished with 2lb (non IGFA) and landed a 28lb king. A friend of mine has landed a 31 on 2.

Marlowe was also aboard and on the rod for my only 40+, it was officially weighed in 6 hours later at 41lb 2oz. It hit the rod rigged right outside that same 4lb IGFA noodle rod. Now that would have been something...

All you need is a good rod with great guides, butter smooth drag, fresh line, good knots, good teamwork and a bit of luck.

It certainly can be done.

Edited by John E Powell

20 or 15 lbs big game with 12 lbs leader on my boat

Ugly stik 8'3" L rods.

I prefer the 15 but i use 20. These are used for everything until sea flea season. Then the lead core rods get the cores pulled off and I add 250 ft of Flea Flicker or See Flee line to the backing.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

thats with the boat still trolling forward?

When you hook up with spring kings in skinny water they often blast right out of the water, so you know what you're dealing with. No matter what they do, on our boat, we clear the rods and just fight that fish.

15lb. big game clear main line with 30' of 8-10lb flouro on the big boards, for the riggers we up the flouro. to 30' of 12lb for the kings and coho's hanging around the shallows.Okuma blue diamond rods on both boards and riggers.