Rigger bottom bouncing

scobar

A bunch of years ago I started doing this and it was catching fish. The problem was that it was reeking havoc on my rigger with all the bouncing. So as the saying goes their has to be a better mouse trap. Here is what I made and the bouncing really settled down because now it's more of a drag than a hit, bounce, hit, repeat.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the ball about 2" deep then ran a 1/4" tap into it. Took  a 24" piece of 1/4" threaded rod with epoxy and screwed in in. Ran a jam nut down to the ball to keep it tight. Works like a charm and my rigger likes it too!

I tried it just by dragging it across the lawn on a piece of rope and you can see how nice the ball sort of lays down but never actually touches down.

post-143134-0-14639000-1424951151_thumb.jpg

post-143134-0-28011900-1424951164_thumb.jpg

I made one with a smaller weight with two lighter arms that provide flex for dragging walleyes off the bottom on Erie.  They work well.  The only hard part is trying to figure out what is bottom bouncing and what is a walleye dragging.  I have towed around eight pound walleyes for probably hours as they come up with their eyes bulging mouth open and dead.  By going to a 2 to 4 pound weight you can tell you have a fish when the weight stops contacting bottom because a fish is dragging the weight higher.

Dumb question on my part. Why do we want to do this? To stay so far off the bottom or to stir up the bottom or for some other reason? Please enlighten me. Thanks

It also kicks up small critters (bait) on the bottom, gobbies, crabs etc

typically just the one pound.... i like the snubber as if it snags (which it has only once) it will break before anything else) plus it gives more action to the bells etc  from the grabbing and releasing of the bottom

you running cowbells also with that set up?

I usually just run a spoon because the drag of the rod creates a lot of commotion. I set the spoon about 4-5' back of the ball, and right at the ball so it's right in the action.

You can also put a piece of chain hanging off the ball.  Tie it on with lighter cable than your rigger cable so if it hangs, it breaks off. 

that does work as well, but it's harder to tell if you in contact (constant) with the bottom. So far I haven't lost a ball.