Recomendation

Does NYS allow semi auto shotguns for duck hunting? Just bought a place on black river bay and I'd like to get into a little duck hunting. Looking for any advice on duck hunting up there. I never did it, always hunted flintlock season for deer and shotgun season for pheasants here in PA. Can anyone recommend a good semi auto shotgun for duck hunting? Gotta be less than $500 if possible.

I love my Remingtons have 3 and those 1187 are a nice dependable gun.

By the way welcome to the area! Where on black river did you buy?

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

A lot of guns will do a great job. It all comes down to how the gun fits you. When you try a gun out a store bring it up to your shoulder with your eyes closed. Then open them to see where your sight line is. I've had both Benelli and now a Beretta. The Beretta fit me better and i shoot it much better. Also where a heavy coat or the coat you will be hunting with. Good luck. Once you go duck hunting you will be hooked.

John

thanks for the info so far. I have 3 winchester pumps I hunt with. I have some heirlooms too, I have my dads bolt action 410 from when he was a kid, an old Ithaca 16 ga, a damascus double barrel that's stamped with an 1890 (never shot it) and two others that I don't know anything about. I never owned a semi auto shotgun before so I'm kind of clueless. we can shoot them in pa for pheasants so I'm sure I'll get some use out of it. My biggest concern is having a gun that'll hold up well in a wet environment but I guess duck hunting is no worse for a gun than hunting in the rain......the wife wants a pistol to carry for protection so we're going shopping on Saturday. Her hands are so damn small none of my pistols fit her. There's a great gun shop about 40 mins away owned by a lady that really knows her stuff. Hoping she has a good selection of semi's while i'm down there. Cabelas has a sale right now but I hate buying guns there. Nobody knows anything and it takes about 5 hours for them to get done with the paperwork, theyre always too freaking busy.

I think my biggest issue will be hitting a duck, those damn things are fast. It's all i can do to shoot a pheasant lol. Duck hunting will be more of an excuse to go to camp and hang out than anything. I've never been so excited for Spring before. I say that every year but this year I really mean it. How's the ice looking up there? any guess when it'll thaw out? I'm going to organize and inventory all my crap for browns this weekend I hope.

Where in PA are you located? Beikirch's in elkland has a fantastic selection and great people top work with. I buy all my reloading supplies from them.

Edited by Chas0218

My prize possesion is a 1916 twin barrel 12 gauge Mohawk with a trigger lock so both barrels can be fired simultaneously.It has a silver inlaid stock. Not many birds escape a double load of 12 gauge bird shot.

I must admit that I have not used it since 1979.

I would be good for duck hunting.

Edited by rolmops

Where in PA are you located? Beikirch's in elkland has a fantastic selection and great people top work with. I buy all my reloading supplies from them.

South East, kinda sorta. Berks County. 

I'm looking at the regs for turkey in NY. Was wondering if a semi auto can be used for turkeys up there? I'm looking for a good shotgun to use for multiple seasons. The guns I have now I don't really care for when hunting but I like them for clay birds.....I know, doesn't make sense. 

Edited by MooseKnuckle VI

Does your semi have removable chokes or is it fixed?  chambered for 2,3/4, 3, 3,1/2 inch?  THese are questions that i would ask if you are duck or turkey hunting.  Duck requires steel shot and there are some instances where you wouldn't want to fire steel thru your shot gun.  Some guys are really into it and take time to throw their patterns out to 40 yards and count the pellets within a 6 inch circle.  You can kill ducks and full mature toms with a skeet shell (I have done it).  I do not recommend it.  If you can pair up with someone that can teach you how to hunt them you will be doing better quicker and eventually you can pay it forward to another newbie.  I do not duck hunt because i was never shown how to do it properly and although I have fought thru the inexperience it just doesn't seem like fun because I am always 2nd guessing myself.  I thought about doing a guided hunt up in Auburn sometime in the future and I recommend you do the same if you can't talk some more exp. guys to let you tag along.  You need to know your ducks too so you do not shoot too many of certain types.  Also, I know that if you learn the flight patterns, you will be shooting at the ducks when they slow down instead of when they are in full flight jet mode.  This is why it helps to watch experienced people.

Spring Turkey hunting is fun.  The more time you can spend scouting your hunting area the better.  Regs are simple 2 bearded birds not on the same day month of May.  Can't hunt after 12pm.  You are supposed to report them like deer.  Tag them like deer too so you will have to get those if you don't already have them.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8316.html

Good luck, I still think you chose a great spot for your camp.

Joe

I have a Remington 1100 in 3 ", a Remington 1187 in 3 1/2" and a Winchester SX 3 in 3 1/2". The Remington's work fine if kept clean but I really like the Winchester. That said, I know several people that have Stoeger 2000 and for the cost they may be worth looking into.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

If your looking for deeks let me now I have dozens that I no longer use, duck and goose

thanks for the offer. I'm actually going to let my neighbors kid buy all the duck hunting gear. I bought the boat and camp and all the fishing gear lol. He's getting real into duck hunting lately, his little brother is working on finding us a little jon boat to use, I might also pick up a cheap deep v jon for a camp boat. but i'll let him know about the decoys.