Dan Keating SWR riggs

The first I heard of it was about 5 years ago at Keating's seminar and I've been around this lake for 30. What the heck do I know, I'm a Grinch! Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The first I heard of it was about 5 years ago at Keating's seminar and I've been around this lake for 30. What the heck do I know, I'm a Grinch! Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was running the swr rig before I came up with the idea and started this message board back in 2006. Was running it also back when I first got my capt. License in 2001. So it has been around for awhile. Apparently it was only used by Yankee Troller, myself and a few others before Keatings book/seminar came around.

I feel like after hearing all of you that I shouldn't have bought the book as there is not new tips or techniques

If you have learned something whether it is new or not from the book than it was worth it. I do not own nor have read the book but anytime you learn something it's a plus in my eyes. Also now if you really think about it copper, wire divers, lead core lines etc are not new anymore but are all worth it

Mike

'Bout Time

I feel like after hearing all of you that I shouldn't have bought the book as there is not new tips or techniques

Tomy,

Everybody is always learning, that's what makes fishing this lake so fun. I have every Dan Keating book (except his most recent), both his DVD's and videos from Chip Porter, I read this post every day and try and learn and teach others every time I'm on the water. I have also been to Keating's seminars and fished and mated both Lake Ontario and Lake Michigan. I have fished out of multiple ports from Oswego to the Niagara Bar and from Muskegon to Manistee in Michigan. Despite that, I know there's so much more to learn to better my craft but I look up to guys like Yankee Troller, Missdemeanor, Thrillseeker, Gill-T, Tim Bromund, Silver Fox, Gambler, on the Lam, KING ME, Paul C., Mark Cole, and the list goes on and on who are always eager to give great advice. I also look up to my great buddy Anthony who I fish with on a weekly basis who has taught me more than I could ever learn in a book or video. The knowledge of all these great men has taught me so much and many of them I haven't even met!! If you really want to see what you don't know but see how much you can learn, participate with these great men and women during a tournament!!

IMO, I think guys get a little ticked off when someone touts a technique as something only they invented as if it's the holy grail or mecca of salmon fishing - and make a lot of money talking about it. However, if the "technique" has already been around for awhile, although probably referred to by a different name, it gets irritating. That being said, it's ultimately up to you to chose what you want to learn with and what you want to learn with. I truly enjoyed Keating's books, especially some of his theory of using the "box" and visualizing your spread. I also enjoyed his videos and I'm sure reading his books also taught you something, so that's what it's all about!

I'm one of the most stubborn people on this site at times, as I always want to learn "why" a technique works and try and apply science to it, only to be humbled that not everything has a reason behind it. I have learned that many a fisherman/woman before me have already done the work for me with their experience and I should respect their wisdom.

Keep learning my friend and keep it real and fun.

Spring can't come soon enough - I'm salivating to read a fishing report instead of fishing comparisons of fishing to a dress for crying out loud!

Later pal,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

I know there's so much more to learn to better my craft but I look up to guys like Yankee Troller, Missdemeanor, Thrillseeker, Gill-T, Tim Bromund, Silver Fox, Gambler, on the Lam, KING ME, Paul C., Mark Cole, and the list goes on and on who are always eager to give great advice.

Can I get an Amen to that!!!

All good points Chris, I enjoyed the book regardless.

I like everyone else can't wait to get out on the water. I tell you what though, my brother and I took a trip out to Narby's on Saturday morning since we had never been and the whole drive along the lake all we could see was all the damn ice!

My 2 biggest kings came on swr With a mag glow chicken wing I also got a 80ish of copper I'll throw on. It doesn't Produce as much as swr but outfishes long leads most day. When bite slows I'm

Not much for waiting for things to happen I try and make things happen. I usually run 4 colors instead of 2. If I'm really frisky I'll Put a 3ish z snap weight on and get deeper. Some days I'll run my 300 copper off a church 250 ft from the boat. It all has it's time and place.

fathobbit you certainly have the right idea....experimentation is what it is all about and thinking out of the box - can make all the difference in the world on those tough days when the bite is off especially. :yes:  Trolling around with the same old approaches with the HOPE that something will happen  (which we all have done) is a "missed opportunity". Taking charge and making something happen is the way to go.