Ice fishing 2-28-15 Canandaigua -a mixed bag

Sk8man

I went solo today in search of the perch and didn't have a hit from1 PM until 5 and a lot of folks got disgusted and left for home.  From 5 -6:15 PM things really took off. I was jigging for perch in 8 ft of water and I had been drilling holes all afternoon and spending a while in each and then moving around looking for signs of life. I finally found one hole that had a spark of life in it and started catching perch one right after another and then a largemouth then a couple more perch and another largemouth some more perch and then my little jigging rod bent over like there was no tomorrow and the 2 lb test line started peeling out with the drag going for about six or seven times...I strongly suspected I had a trout by the feel of it and the fact that it stripped out about half of my line....turned out to be a 24 inch male rainbow all colored up :)  It was worth the wet arm getting him out of the hole too :lol:

All the fish came out of that single hole and all on the same little jig with spikes and I ended up with 3 or 4 perch after the pic.

Anyway glad I ended up staying and waiting it out... the biggest of the largemouths was 19 1/4 inches and the other was 18 inches,. All in all a fun day on the ice.

Oh and I have confirmation that there are in fact rainbow smelt still in Canandaigua. I caught two of them on spikes while jigging in 36 ft of water and there was a whole school of them there.

post-145411-0-88638100-1425173037_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-52936000-1425173093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks John.  bandrus 2 largemouth bass (and they are in season still in the Fingers :) ) . Normally I don't keep them but they are good when caught in the cold water.

Les,

Great job! I always heard Canandaigua has nice largemouth bass. I got skunked on Erie yesterday. There were fish moving around all day but few paused to look at my jig. Thought I might eventually get a big rally like you did.

Thanks guys....lot of fun on light tackle.... good luck on Keuka John.  bandrus- I'm not sure of the reasoning but it has been that way for years.

Edited by Sk8man

My son specifically goes after them this time of year for eating....I've always considered them as "bait" despite knowing they are delicious I don't eat them :lol:  He usually gives me a lot of %$$#@  about it too :)

Congrats Les, way to hang in there buddy!!! Really nice trout by the way!!! With a little luck we should be able to float our boats soon, yea right!!!

Thanks Pap....it is looking like July maybe :lol:  (God I hope not) Mike C. you lucky dog...look forward to getting together when you get back. I'll be in Clearwater the 21st for a few days though :)

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Tim- the rainbow seemed a little stiff for release :lol:  I figured it would take too long for the respirator to arrive so I took him home and performed surgery instead....unfortunately the patient  didn't make it....but on the good side he will taste good :)

North end its a long way out to the fishable areas but good ice and the snow is wind blown in many places plenty of ice 8-10 inches. South end snow hard packed with some paths by heavy traffic about 8-10 inches of varied quality ice.