Largest unofficial walleye ever caught in New York State?

pro-fish-n-c

So boredom and a post on another site led me to do some searching for the largest walleyes ever caught in New York. I found evidence of three mammoth fish that were never included in the record books, presumably because they were snagged. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about the accuracy of these records or if anyone has heard of them before.

The biggest fish was snagged in the Niagra river in 1987 by someone fishing for salmon. Apparently it was weighed and released, weight was 25lbs, 3oz.

The next biggest fish was 22lbs 2 oz, and was caught in the Seneca river near Clyde. It was snagged with a jig and entered in the Genesse beer fishing contest. It was caught May 30th 1964.

While researching the previous fish I found an article that referenced another monster that weighed 21lbs 4oz from the niagra in 1963.

Are these accurate weights? Did they not count as modern records because they were snagged? Does anyone have any photos , knowledge, stories, or anecdotal evidence about them?

Thanks!

73EAC015-0C62-402B-815C-464FE80132D8-165

81478735-2936-477A-AD0C-D9987BDB72B2-857

I'm particularly interested in the fish that was snagged and weighed 25lbs 3oz in 1987. This is recent enough that I was hoping someone would have firsthand recollection of it happening .

I only found vague references to it on the Internet, but maybe someone knows more.

Someone on myfishfinder posted the records from the Genesse fishing contest from 1974, interested in the walleye records I did some searching and found the newspaper article online, which was originally printed in a newspaper called the phelps country editor., in 1964.

When they say "snagged" I think they used it figuratively, not literally. Back then they said  " we snagged one" for every fish caught in the mouth. I remember hearing about the Seneca river fish.

Just my $ .02.

Apparently louis a wehle was the commissioner of the organization that was the precursor to the NYSDEC and also in charge of Genessee brewing. So the nys louis a wehle fishing contest was in conjunction with Genessee beer.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/2014/12/13/genesee-brewing-curt-gowdy-outdoors-craft-beer/20354663/

This is a good article that shows some of the history of the event.

I believe these records are possible.  My dad caught a 37" in Lake O many years ago trolling at night.  Didn't weigh it but knowing the length it had to be close if not over 20lbs.   Verified by his fishing partner.  Long before the days of phones on the boat so no pics of course.  A live release so no mount to show.  A fish that size caught in late fall/early winter could easily hit 22+lbs. For what its worth....

Edited by Consigliere

Last spring on the Columbia river a 24 pound walleye set the Washington state record. You have only a short time to get a NY state record on the Kinzua Reservoir where the last two record Walleyes were caught before the season closes on March15.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am curious what makes a walleye that large.  What niche conditions are preferrable?

oxygen, forage, depth, temp?

I ask because a 25 inch eye caught in Corning didn't look anything (other than being a walleye) 25 inch eye caught out of Conesus.  Obvious differences are lake vs river and forage but what about other factors?

I caught a 25 inch walleye that was tagged 10 years earlier when it was 25 inches also. It was a male fish that stop growing at 25 inches. It is the females that grow larger and their weight peaks just before spawning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am curious what makes a walleye that large. What niche conditions are preferrable? oxygen, forage, depth, temp?

I ask because a 25 inch eye caught in Corning didn't look anything (other than being a walleye) 25 inch eye caught out of Conesus. Obvious differences are lake vs river and forage but what about ?

Several factors contribute to large walleye. I am no expert but am taking 2 classes in fisheries right now at FLCC. One is all bait the management aspect; population dynamics, size, growth, and carrying capacity. The other is a hatchery class and we will actually be capturing walleye from honeoye and spawning them then releasing the fry back to the lake. The biggest mortality factor that limits wallet from reaching large sizes is from angler mortality. The legal limits is 14"? From the scale samples I've looked at a 14" fish is 2-3yo as a male and 3-4 as female. Females are not sexually mature until 3 males are at 2. Once a walleye reaches maturity it's growth level drastically slows. A few of scales we've looke at from 20"+ fish are 7years old or more. So what I'm getting at is that time to grow is probably the most crucial factor to a large walleye. Forage and healthy habitat is also important. I would love to see a slot limit in place on walleye, an honeoye, which has no naturally reproducing walleye, needs some real help. Hope this info is useful to you.

Ps. I live in Corning and would love to learn some walleye techniques if you feel like sharing. Best wishes.

Jeff

Edited by dawsonscreek

2 techniques I use is reaction bite with a shallow diving rapala in perch or natural and finesse bite using a light jig 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32oz (depending on current) tipped with a minnow or tony.  Conditions are right you can take a trout float rig and tip it with a minnow and get some good results but usually all I get doing that is bass.  Last year was rough for me.  I hate giving advice when I stunk so badly at it.  Walleye eat slower than my daughter so you may want to use a stinger hook.  After you get a few skinless baits returned to you, you will know why.

Holding holes have depth and structure.  This is usually where people fail in the river.  Walleyes like to get out of the sun.  Also the sun, avoid it.  Crappie days fish better.  I also love going out on the harvest moon.  I think this is the best week out of the year to fish for eyes.  I like to fish the mornings and evenings.  Given more time and energy - past midnight.

Edited by BSmaster

2 techniques I use is reaction bite with a shallow diving rapala in perch or natural and finesse bite using a light jig 1/8, 1/16 or 1/32oz (depending on current) tipped with a minnow or tony. Conditions are right you can take a trout float rig and tip it with a minnow and get some good results but usually all I get doing that is bass. Last year was rough for me. I hate giving advice when I stunk so badly at it. Walleye eat slower than my daughter so you may want to use a stinger hook. After you get a few skinless baits returned to you, you will know why.

Holding holes have depth and structure. This is usually where people fail in the river. Walleyes like to get out of the sun. Also the sun, avoid it. Crappie days fish better. I also love going out on the harvest moon. I think this is the best week out of the year to fish for eyes. I like to fish the mornings and evenings. Given more time and energy - past midnight.

Thanks! I've caught a few in the PA side of the Tioga using an X-rap but never really tried the chemung anywheres

12lb. 7oz chain pickerel would be an IGFA all tackle worlds record......and the Chemung has plenty of 'eyes in it. Or it used to. Have not fished it since the 90's. They could be readily caught right in downtown Elmira. Interesting that in 75 the big king and other salmonid stuff had not yet gotten on it's feet. The fingers still ruled......10lb. smallies out of the Big O....are U kiddin' me!!!??   :o    :)     NNniiiiiiicce! I would not be surprised if some were still in there like that. And 36 (almost!) lb northern is awesome.... :nod: