My first & second attempt at powder paint on lures

The first 2 pictures is my first attempt at painting lures with powder paint, by heating with a heat gun and then dipping them. It didn’t work out too well.

Then I watched this video. The guy used an art brush.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1TPCZqXrRY

Last 3 pictures are from my 2nd attempt and I’m satisfied with the outcome. Yellow is UV plus there's glow , alewive, white pearl, black and clear UV enhancer. The second and 4th picture has a UV light shinning on them.

The fish don’t know I’m not an artist

The lure is my homemade that I’ve been using for probably 10 years with consistent trout & salmon catches.

Something to play around with while waiting for the snow to melt.

post-143614-0-23845200-1425581417_thumb.jpg

post-143614-0-15204300-1425581428_thumb.jpg

post-143614-0-73209500-1425581434_thumb.jpg

post-143614-0-73347300-1425581442_thumb.jpg

post-143614-0-95439500-1425581450_thumb.jpg

I have never done this but am thinking about doing it. From what I have been seeing & reading you have to get the lure/ metal up to 350*, which they say can be done in an oven.. Just a suggestion if you try again. Good luck. I just got some blades that shape what/how do you use them? I made worm harnesses out of mine but they only have the one top hole it them.

I have never done this but am thinking about doing it. From what I have been seeing & reading you have to get the lure/ metal up to 350*, which they say can be done in an oven.. Just a suggestion if you try again. Good luck. I just got some blades that shape what/how do you use them? I made worm harnesses out of mine but they only have the one top hole it them.

With hooks added

post-143614-0-79300300-1425599059_thumb.jpg

I used to use a toaster oven to heat gears and bearings before pressing them on to transmission and differential shafts. They heat up much quicker than a regular oven and are very portable too. That might work for this application, but you obviously won't have the volume that an full oven has.

Use the torch for painting then when done with a bunch of spoons, put them in the toaster oven for 10 min to finich the hardening process.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I tried the air brush from t.j.'s and its nothing but a PITA. Can't get creative at all. Too much over spray. I'll give you mine cheap

I tried the air brush from t.j.'s and its nothing but a PITA. Can't get creative at all. Too much over spray. I'll give you mine cheap

When using an airbrush paint viscosity and air pressure can be a pain to dial it in. I just bought one last summer and had quite a time getting used to it. I'm still learning. Some paints like high pressure 30-50 psi, some as low as 5-10 psi. Lots and lots of practice to get good at it. I was frustrated with mine at first, now I enjoy using it.

I always practice on cardboard first before painting any product, to get the paint and air right and to lose my shakey hands. There are some good tutorial's on YouTube that might help.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Maybe try more pressure. Also, I found when I get the needle at just the right spray I lock it down in that position and don't use my finger to adjust spray just air. Try not painting all the color at once, several passes to build it up. I hope this helps as I know how frustrating it can be to get it right.

I have an airbrush that I tried about 10 years back with regular paint. Like I said in my first post "I'm no artist".

I hear ya, neither am I. I've learned a few basics with the airbrush and now its fun to use. I had to learn to use it or I would be limited in what I can produce. I am by no means good at it, but fair and the more I use it, the more I learn. Stencils help a lot also.

Maybe try more pressure. Also, I found when I get the needle at just the right spray I lock it down in that position and don't use my finger to adjust spray just air. Try not painting all the color at once, several passes to build it up. I hope this helps as I know how frustrating it can be to get it right.

Trust me, I've tried everything. Maybe its a defective air brush, don't know, but I'm done with it.