WTB - Drift Sock, Need Two

Hey guys, I am looking to grab at least two drift socks. They need to be medium or large size. Something that will really slow down a free drift on Lake O's wind and current.

Please let me know what you have. Text 5eight5-943-zero78four or PM. I am in the Rochester area.

Thanks!

They may look ugly, but 5 gallon pails work great.     Drill a hole in the bottom, and feed a longer length of line than you will use for tying them to your cleats through that hole.  

Then tie off a 6" piece of dowel to it on the inside of the bucket.  (I cut 6" lengths of an old fiberglass driveway marker).    This makes a "tip" line for pulling in the buckets.   They come in bottom first, 

and when you lift them, the hole in the bottom also breaks the water suction, and lets them pop out easy.

Only down sides:   You friend continually plays an air banjo and asks what it's like being cheap, and they will occasionally bump the side of your boat.   Since they are plastic, and I have

a metal hull, not an issue in my opinion.

I recommend that you call Captain Jason Franz ( 585- 615-6504). He and his wife Tricia, who live in Hilton, NY started making their own after having issues with some of the commercial socks. They now make and sell drift socks as well as custom boat canvas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trolling bags are made of heavier material and have reinforcing webbing throughout while a drift sock does not. Drift socks are meant to do just that, drift. A trolling bag is way heavier to withstand the constant tugging from the motor, waves, etc. Amish outfitters and big papa are probably the most popular. Not a plug, bit I run two 36" big papa's on my 22' WA and they hold up and allow me to troll down pretty well.

Hi All,  

There are great differences in the bags.. .regardless if they are called drift socks or trolling bags.  

I guess I will put my own plug here...  

My bags are heavily reinforced to give them extra strength.  I use UV Marine heavy canvas and webbing.

I can post a picture later.. don't have one where I am logged in right now.

I have made these for other captains and they have been very happy with their performance.  They open easily and really hold up to the heavy use that we put them through.

You can give me a call at 585.615.6504 if you are interested.

Can't wait to get back on the water!

Tight Lines -

Tricia

I've got a 16ft aluminum boat with a 40hp on it. Just looking to use one trolling bag. What size would you guys suggest? Looking at the Amish bags. What type would you guys go with the regular or the heavy duty ones? Thanks!

I would suggest a small bag on each side. .. probably 20" bags will do.

I will PM you with pricing.

Tricia

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app