Lead Core for Erie Walleye

jigstick

I fish from Northeast harbor up to Dunkirk.  Last year it really seemed like the ticket was lead core.  I want to get into it.  A local Field and Stream by me has a package set up which includes an Okuma Classic Pro GLT 8ft 6in rod + Okuma level wind reel + 18lb lead core + 500ft of backing for $139.  I believe it has maybe 10-12 colors.  

Can someone school me on how to go about using it?  I understand that you get maybe 5ft of depth for every color let out, at trolling speed?  Do you just put them in your rod holders and let them go?  Can you run inline planer boards on them?  Does the lead core basically run right behind the boat?  

I typically use two Dipsy Diver rods, two down rigger rods, and two inline planer board rods.  And Im wondering where the hell I am going to squeeze two lead core rods into the spread.  THanks for any advice.

Doug

Pittsburgh, PA

Big boards or inlines.  The guys really dialed in to the leadcore bite are using 5 or 7 colors and just adding weight  in front of the leader half-hitched with a rubber band.  For your rig you should have no problem running 3 inlines per side.  The outside leadcore should be the higher running lines and work in your deeper-longer leadcore closer to the boat.  Microcore like Tuf-line is 27lb and due to the small diameter will fit on smaller reels.  You can use what you learn on Erie to fish Ontario the same way.  If you want to speed your learning curve, book a charter with Capt. Pete Alex out of Erie.  He gives tutorial charters and will teach you while you fish.

I fish leadcore a lot, what I found is to have a 3 color 5-7 you need the whole lenght of the core in the water and I use 30# power pro for backing as you can get a lot of backing on, I was showed the difference between using a 10 color and a half hitch just say 7 colors to a rig with 7 colors and backing, with the whole lenghth of the core in the water and your backing about 20ft and the your backing to the release out fished my 10 color 5 fish to 1 when I got back from Erie I made up these setups you can use a 30 series for the 3 color and 5 color but you will need a 45 or 50 series for the 7 colors, and if you need more depth than a 7 color add a snap weight at the front of the core. I found that a 2oz on a 7 color 55ish Oh I forgot to mention I run Suffix 832 in the 18# test you will get 7 feet per color instead of 5 with the conventional leadcore, don't buy Cabelas brand as the colors bleed into each other, and you can't tie the O'L willis knot in this line also you need to tie a double cinch as the instructions will tell you. I'm really impressed with the Suffix and it works!!! Also to save a couple of bucks I use my rigger rods to run my cores off big boards, so I didn't need to purchase 4 more rods. Hope this helps and good luck with everything and as mentioned above the same works for LakeO. PAP

I put in a section of mono between the core and the braid backer also. I know it adds more knots but I feel more comfortable placing the boards on the mono instead of the braid.  Like Pap said, 4-7 colors are great lengths for Erie when we go in early July.  For those of you that run snap weights on them I have a question.  If you place the weight on the leader instead of behind the core itself doesn't it counteract the "loping whip" action of the core itself? I would think it would retain the action better if the weight was behind the core??

DJ, the fellow that showed my the how to about the segments of the cores and explained how it works told me to place the snap weight on the backer before the core, that way it won't effect the action of the core itself. I'm only saying what I was told, and it made sence to me.

I fish from Northeast harbor up to Dunkirk.  Last year it really seemed like the ticket was lead core.  I want to get into it.  A local Field and Stream by me has a package set up which includes an Okuma Classic Pro GLT 8ft 6in rod + Okuma level wind reel + 18lb lead core + 500ft of backing for $139.  I believe it has maybe 10-12 colors.  

Can someone school me on how to go about using it?  I understand that you get maybe 5ft of depth for every color let out, at trolling speed?  Do you just put them in your rod holders and let them go?  Can you run inline planer boards on them?  Does the lead core basically run right behind the boat?  

I typically use two Dipsy Diver rods, two down rigger rods, and two inline planer board rods.  And Im wondering where the hell I am going to squeeze two lead core rods into the spread.  THanks for any advice.

Doug

Pittsburgh, PA

Doug give me a call I can answer any questions you may have. I am out of sunset bay just east of Dunkirk and primarly fish lead core. I can also set ypu up with rods and reels for a little cheaper. 716-796-5372 thanks Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Doug

Pittsburgh, PA

Doug give me a call I can answer any questions you may have. I am out of sunset bay just east of Dunkirk and primarly fish lead core. I can also set ypu up with rods and reels for a little cheaper. 716-796-5372 thanks Jim

Jim. I'm thinking about trying Erie this season for Eyes, do you think I could use that 832 core in 12lb out there. I've got two #30 reel that I'd like to use for a 5 and 7 core. Thanks  Mike.

You can get enough backer on a #30 reel use a power pro or something similar, stay with 30# no bigger and you won't have any problem. One thing you need to make certain is, that you keep the braid line super tight on the spool. What I do is use one reel and crank on your 7 colors then crank on you backing. Now it's on the reel backwards, so I run it through the eyes of a pole and mount the other reel on the pole then attach your backer to the other reel and then I put it in the vice give it some drag so it cranks on the other reel with a little resistance and crank it on the other reel. Then the backer is tight and your leadcore is on top ready to go. Sounds like a lot of work but it's the only way I found to put the exact amount of backer to the reel with the right amount of colors. Good luck and tight lines to you. PAP.