South American Muskie 2015

We will have to gear up much bigger and stronger in reels and line for Big Catfish! We 1st started out with a 7 ft extra heavy ocean stand up rod with an ABU 7000 Reel spooled up with 80 lb Power Pro.That reel the line got zipped completely off the spool by Redtail Catfish that ran and never stopped.So we upgraded to a Penn 309m reel with 150 lb Power Pro line and we're able to stop all the Cats 100 lbs and under, but even got spooled twice with the bigger reel and 150 lb Power Pro! So next year we will take along Penn Senator Reel and 250 lb Power Braid! We would also have Cats run right to logs and wrap 25 ft down, no problem our Amerindian boat captian Carlson loves water, he would dive in and follow the line down, untangle and bring the Cats up in his bare hands.We got a lot of lures back this way as well, he was not even worried about the thousands of Black Pirhana in the same hole!

Edited by mostlymuskies

The Amerindian boat Captian's and bow men we hire are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen! Try cutting a path with a chain saw for 1/2 a mile, then cut round logs down over the whole trail, followed by pushing a 21 ft heavy aluminum boat across this to that far away pond and never complain one bit!

The best sign of toughness was when Carlson got a 2/0 treble hook stuck in his index finger, he pushed it through the thickness of his finger, cut off the barb and pulled it back.I taped it up after cleaning it and putting triple antibiotic cream on,2 hours later he tossed away the bandage and was up at the front of the boat with oar in the bad hand and never missed a minute of the day!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Wow you never tasted fish cooked any better then Amerindian fire roasted Peacock Bass! They start out by using hard wood sticks to build a grill, then they select dry purple heart wood to build a coal base.Once hot red coals the fish cut opened to give you to half's with cut lines in the sides, brushed with cooking oil and laid on the wood grill.Then they take a special bark that smokes in a flavor that goes on the coals.This all cooks slowly over a couple hours as the flavor goes into the cooking fish that is turned many times.Just so good that it just melts in your mouth with unbelievable flavor! Every 3rd Day!

At night the animal noises are something that has your attention between howler monkeys that sound like a pride of hunger lions to owls answering each other.But the most amazing thing is the sky and all the millions of stars that you never see here, lots of satellites streaking across the sky, also shooting stars! Complete with the freshest air you could ever inhale!

Sitting at camp along the river watching 8 Giant River Otters hunt for fish dinner! Look on as they fight each other over every fish they catch.See the otters catch a Big Pyara of World Record Size while your clients are all out on ponds and other parts of the river trying to find one.Taking time from boiling 15 gallons of drinking water each day to cast a few small crankbaits and have a school of Peacock Bass swim through at just the right time and catch 7 out of 10 casts!

Crossing low water flats of shallow water with all brown sand bottom, looking down at Stingray's that over 200 lbs! Casting toward Arawana that are near the surface and when you connect they jump 6 to 8 times clean out of the water like tarpon.You can catch so many fish here that you will end up in the hammock for a snooze after lunch each day and return for more in the afternoon!

All smaller crankbaits & rattle traps the stock hooks were useless.Black Pirhana would just destroy those hooks with one hit.We had to up grade to x-hvy 1/0 treble hooks.Floating Rapala's were getting bit in half, rattle traps would have so many chew marks they filled with water.Most crankbaits would have the pull eye twisted so many time that it was impossible to tune them.Wire leaders were getting bit off on 60 lb and under! Good thing I brought 1500 yd spool of 80 lb Power Pro, many reels got stripped of all line.The color white was the best choice all trip.

Wow Larry, that sounds like something right out of MonsterQuest, what a incredible experience, definitely a once in a life time experience also. I would think that there are no words to explain EXCACTLY how it was other than being on the scene living the actual moment!!! Thanks so much for the stories, it does paint a good idea of what goes on down there, but being there in person is the only way one could fathom the real deal. I hope for you this opens a whole new window in you life, like a magazine or a book, maybe a tv show, I know we talked about some of those might be in the making. I'm happy for you, what a great once in a lifetime experience. I hope you will be able to continue to do this for years to come!! PAP.

Pap, Thanks for the kind words! You are correct in saying there is nothing better then actually being there, but every trip is a new lifetime experience.I can't wait till next year to see what exciting new thrills happen! Going to be hard to beat this year's 7 IGFA World Records!

Captain Larry,

Awesome stuff!! Everyone sees these fish caught on TV, but they dont tell you what goes on behind the scenes that makes it all possible. How many pounds of drag are you putting on those huge cats with the Penn 309m? What's the ballpark figure for one of these once in a lifetime trips? I know its out of my budget, but I can certainly dream about it! Thanks for the stories I appreciate you sharing them.

We have the drag almost locked down and they still burn line not stopping.So to get the big catfish to stop from running g all the line off the reel you hold the rod out straight toward the water and turn around and start running away, this sometimes turns the fish and they are then running back at you as fast as they were running away.You reel up slack as fast as possible until the drag starts again as the catfish passes going the other way, then you repeat process and turn them around again.Each time the runs get shorter and shorter till they finally wear down enough to reel them in! A 15 Day Guyana Fishing Expedition costs $3500, is All Inclusive, Airfare from Toronto, JFK New York or Miami is included, All Fishing Equipment & Tackle are supplied, all meals, transport & lodging & camping equipment, no hidden costs!$1000 deposit holds your booking!

Edited by mostlymuskies

I was just tring to be funny. I spent more than that in miami in four days to see the bills play. Do you run into other groups fishing, or is it just you? Any foul hook stories. Fish that size a foul hook would be like hooking into the bumper of a car. Great stuff captain.

We see no one else where we go, we are 92 miles from the nearest road and 18 hours up river from Rewa Eco Lodge!

Biggest foul hooked was a 150+ Stingray in a side Fin flop area,2 hour fight! You would have thought it was over 200 lbs! Then again hooking an 8 ft Black Caiman is a challenge you always loose, either spool you or break off.

Anyone interested in 2016 January, February or March needs to make a deposit of $1000 to lock in a date, then you have about 10 months to save the other $2500.Usually those who try to book late in the year find all dates are booked, especially for next year after 7 IGFA World Records Set this year.

Deposit or Total Cost can be paid by PayPal or Credit Card at www.guyanafishing.com as well!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Oldman, I go with half working pancreas, high blood pressure and 7 pills a day! If I go out I'm going to be doing something I like doing!

We have Global One Rescue, can have a helicopter from Boa Vista Brazil there in a half an hour to pull someone out and to a hospital if emergency extraction is needed . Satilite cell phone to make the call!