Cannon motor problems

I am using new Cannon downrigger power cords only.  Two batteries hooked to a perko switch placed on "both" setting.  Agreed on the amp/voltage draw at the rigger but how am I going to measure that?

Gill-T, I just read back through everything in this string. I really am beginning to doubt that loss of voltage has any bering on the problem. I understand that you had Unitrols upgraded to electric and it sounds like what was used, was drive units from an older version which was a high speed version of the orriginal Mag 10. I get the impression from reading a few other comments here that others have also had problems with blowing mother boards on that particular vintage. It sounds like to me that maybe that vintage just didn't live up to it's specs and may have had reliability issues. Maybe that could be comfirmed if you searched other forums and find many others who had problems. Unfortunately, it is hard to say if you could get any satisfactoin from Cannon, based on the circumstances.

One thing I don't understand is how you got a warranty on the upgrade. Especially since it sound like that style has not been produced for several years, unless the warranty was just on the parts which may still be availabe primarily to repair the older units. I am beginning to think that all you can do is use smaller balls and hope for the best.

Since my background is in electronics, I would be curious to see if the boards could be repaired or possibly repaired with an upgrade to cure the problem at a lower cost.

Edited by muskiedreams

Muskie since your into the electronics and I own a starter and alternator rebuild shop I didn't see any wrong doing, and I believe that we are both on the same page here, I did go to a seminar where Delco started to use a star washer at the starter connection from the battery and since a computer sends the start signal to the starter which also controls the crank time. They were having trouble with that and the whole cause was the star washer, the washer limited the contact point to 12 little areas instead of the whole surface area like a lock or flat, they claimed the washer did not let enough current to flow on the account that the star washer was only making contact with 12 little areas which caused a overdraw, and we were instructed us to use flat washers only and problem solved. If the initial problem is the surge on the start up of the motor, I wonder if this could be an issue. Just a thought. PAP

Edited by pap