50 inch Pike - Sacandaga Reservoir

A friend shot me a pic of this monster pike caught this past weekend in the Food and Fuel fishing contest. 50" and 31.45lbs. I guess there were 2 other giants caught that were 47 3/4. I fished that lake every chance I could as a kid and never caught one that big.

post-151111-0-13000400-1425921389_thumb.jpg

Edited by MeanMachine

A fantastic fish for sure. And at no cost to the taxpayers. We could have a shot at northerns like that in a lot of waters if the dec would tighten up the rules. The body count has been high this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A fish like that is at least 20 yrs old so dont worry there will be another like it in 20 years . Too big to eat , could of got a reproduction. Sacandaga has a history of giant pike so hopefully it will bounce back . Nice catch though.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of catching that monster.  I would love to put one like that on the wall someday, but I really don't have a chance to fish back home much anymore with salmon fever the majority of the year.  I was friends with an old man who grew up fishing pike out there.  He had a 54'' on his wall and some pics of other giants.  He said he caught one that was 60 inches back in the day - he didn't have a pic but I'm sure he had one in that neighborhood. 

Whoa...that thing is a monster. Spent a week there last July and didn't even see a pike. I am not much of an ice fisherman but maybe i should rethink that...

July/ August are probably the worste months to target them. They have a very good way of hiding in the depths. That lake has so much structure, its very hard to even decide on a starting point. Your best bet for open water is the month of May there. I do ok on that lake, but it is very challenging.

Also, couldn't agree more with the C&R. I'd love to see a slot limit to keep those good 34-38" breeders exempt. I know of 12-15 pike over 40" that were kept this winter just on one body of water alone! And it is a relatively small reservoir, which I can't understand how it bounces back producing monsters every year. Its got to catch up eventually, ruining it for the next generations to come. I release every pike I catch. There are better species to eat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FishinNY