Need Help what license to obtain?

I had to drop close to 1 k to get my license by the time u figure hotel and gas. I sat thru 4 weekends of 10 hr days And I put in 20 hrs is of hard studying. I had to take drug test and pay to sign up for random drug test ( all very disappointing ) But severe sacrifices have to be made and u must be very disciplined to obtain a license. I had to get a commercial policy for 1 million dollars which cost 1500$ish  edit Gas money is one thing But if you wanna put the time in. Capt Dennis from sea tech is a top notch dude and runs a heck of a buisness There is a sea school on Long Island. And it will make you a heck of a sailor but I don't think their sucsess rate is as high as Dennis. I have a class a cdl got a degree from a 5 yr trade school as well as a handful of other work related cents. But the capt test and class was the hardest test I have ever taken. Good luck

I still see where the confusion is.. he says friends family and others. The others is where it shows. You don't advertise but if a friend of a friend called you would do it... I really dont care but everyone digs a hole one way or another. Just have fun fishing and enjoy the time on the water seav. Have a good long season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I too got my OUPV License through Sea Tech Marine Training. They give classes all over the North East.

I think it was in "Chapman's Piloting" I read, that if someone comes on your boat and offers you half of their sandwich, it could be considered by USCG to be taking compensation without a USCG License. What you're doing would definitely be seen as illegal by the Coast Guard. Trust me, they don't care what you're doing with the money. They don't care if it goes in the gas tank, or you give it to your wife for groceries. It's the fact that you're taking compensation without a license that will get you burned.  

A few more tips for you. The insurance MUST be Charter boat insurance. Regular liability insurance won't cover carrying passengers for hire. If you have an accident, and the insurance company gets wind of them paying to fish, they aren't going to pay. Insurance companies are saving big bucks by paying investigators before they pay out claims.

If you do decide to go through the licensing course, take the CPR etc that they offer. I say that for two reasons. One, the class is geared more toward onboard emergencies than land based classes. There are questions on the test regarding those emergencies. Second, I am a certified Professional Rescuer instructor for American  Heart Association CPR and First Aid. I teach Fire Fighters and EMTs CPR, so I didn't take that part of the class from Sea Tech when it was offered. I found out after submitting my license application to the USCG that they don't recognize AHA as an approved CPR certification agency. At the last minute I had to pay $100 for a Red Cross CPR class, 25 miles from home.

Third, The USCG plate on your boat says you can take a certain number of people on the vessel as a pleasure craft. But, unless it was built as a USCG Inspected vessel at every stage of its construction, from the moment the keel was laid, you can only take 6 passengers for hire, no matter how many the plate says, or which level of USCG license you have. 

Thank you Capt. Jim finally a direct answer. I am planning on getting the license reguarsless after talking to the wifey so this way when I change my mind like wind changes direction I am prepared to go ahead full steam

You might as well. Then you can get full pay. Getting the license is a pain but well worth the hassle and the time. Good luck. Aslo be careful about saying online that you take anything from passengers til you have your license. Someone will see you as unfair competition and call USCG on you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When shopping for Charter boat Insurance check out "Charter Lakes Insurance".  They know the business we're in because that's all they serve is Charter boats. Their price was the best I've found.

I know but it was the premis of the conversations that we're starting. I am not doing anything to ruffle feathers and respect those charters that are out there. So I don't want to risk jeopardizing what I have over a $20 bill.

U could do it online as well if u didn't want to go do the classes. I did all the stuff online and then just went took the finals once all the tests were passed. They have them a few times and I took Myn in canandaigua. It is nice and u can do it on your own time!

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app