Suggested lures for spring ontario walleyes

Senor Snagger

2 years ago we caught an 8# eye in july at mid day out of Fair Haven.  80 ft down on a cheater with a wonderbread stinger! Tell you how screwed up the water column was that day??

Never targeted walleyes on Ontario but on Erie:  Firetiger, perch, blk/silver, black/purple, and watermelon all produce.  In stick baits as well as harnesses.  Usually have the best luck on lead core.  Length obviously depending on water temp.

Depending on the wind I will be pulling husky jerk 14 on outside boards for high fish and deep husky jerks12 with snap weights to get down to different depths behind the boat. Colors are up to the fish but I like glass minnow,glass blue,silver blue. I always try one in fire tiger too. Give them all you got till you find what works. Good luck hope you get in to them.

I'd contact Fleetracker, he got bored catching them last spring. I fished oswego awhile back at night, largest rapalas trolled up and down river. It was a frigging zoo, wagon train going in circles until coast guard showed up. First and last trip to oswego for eyes.

Edited by Roughrider IV

I think I would back troll or long line if I fished eyes in the eastern basins.  Chaumont, Black river especially.  Conditions have to be right.  I would use suckers or shiners for live bait, maybe some worm harnesses and then some jig raps or soft plastics.  Drift sock to keep it slow if necessary.  Casting to the side I would use suspending perch or natural jerkbaits.

I have no advice for trolling it other than I would get the water temp data for a period of time to see what it has been and try to get a feel for what stage the spawn/ post spawn is in and then come up with a strategy.  Doing the same thing that worked last year will (in most cases) only work this year if we have the same weather pattern.  Most of it is experience in noticing similarities to what has happened in the past and that is why you hear a lot of ambiguous advice and telling you have to put the time in.  There will be no hotline to tell you where to go and what to use.  Like bass I guess in that you can catch them in a lot of different ways.  It also can be how much water time you have in the season as well.  My retired cousin put the time in this past year and smoked me.  The same exact spots on the river but he went at the right time (while I was  working).

Good luck this year,

Joe

Mr. Bolton (orange belly) gave some solid advice. I personally have never fished eyes out of Oswego so I can't intelligently comment. Different things work best on different bodies of water and in large bodies like Lake O, different areas of the lake have their own 'hot lures' and presentations. It can definitely be a tough specie to target if you're just starting out... If you ever venture north a bit more and fish the east end bay system, give me a shout and I'd be glad to offer intel.

Good luck out there!!

-Devin

Edited by FleetTracker

Senor Snagger,

I am still a student of walleye fishing. A good number of my eyes on the st lawrence come during muskie season. Last couple years it seems various flavors (perch, shad, grape, and blue) of the 8" Reef Runner has produced. Particularly on the planer board. Later in the season the eyes will occasionally hit 10" and 12" baits! Awesome stuff. Good luck!

Esox

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The waters on the Niagara Bar are Lake Erie water, full of nutrients, plankton and bait forage. Lots of walleye taken there especially large ones on bottom bouncer rigs with worm harnesses. The same can be said of harbor waters all over the lake where rivers flow into the lake. Figure it out, why not Walleyes when the waters flowing into the are full of Walleyes. Get your head straight and try for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For what it's worth,i only fish for pike and muskie but i catch i few walleyes each year in chatauqua,conesus,and otisco lakes. Always while slow rolling a big spinnerbait on a drop off. Brown/yellow maribou and a gold #8blade. Get a few each year in mud creek the same way. All released.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

There are no walleye in chaumont bay, orange belly must be confused and Fleetracker folowed me and got lucky.

You're still in bed when my lines get set. Then you eventually show up. Who's following who? Consistency isn't luck my friend. I do agree though, Chaumont is weak! Haha