Water level

Should be coming up some after this weeks temps/rain. Able to see some flowing water in Fall/Salmon creek for the first time in a few weeks... Still ice at least as far north as Myers as of this afternoon (didn't check any further north)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would imagine it's coming up some, I doubt they would let it come all the way up to normal levels this early.

They control the water level with the locks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by cmbomysoad

So far Cayuga Lake is not on the rise. As of 9 AM this morning the USGS  gauge on Cayuga Inlet recorded the surface elevation of Cayuga as 378.76 ft. This is about a tenth lower than last week.

Normal summer time levels are about 382 ft. Minor flooding occurs at 385 ft. and major flooding occurs at 386 ft.

Officially, the surface level is controlled at Mud Lock. Some believe the locks are controlled by monkeys throwing darts at a dart board! :lol:

The search is on the USGS site. I think I found it under water levels- a search on their site for Cayuga Lake will not yield results, you will need to search for Cayuga Inlet because that's where the gauge is.

Sorry, I don't have the link bookmarked.

As of yesterday afternoon it didn't like like water is being pulled down the canal at the north end of Seneca Still iced over.

• 2 years later...

Took a drive over to the mud locks yesterday to see how high the water level was (heard it was pretty high); The top of the concrete walls on either side of the lock was about 1-2 feet below the water surface and most of the cottages along river road had water right up to the foundations.

Today at 6am 4/4/17 the level is 383.02 flood stage is 383.5 and the lake is still rising. Google cayuga lake water level and go to the national weather service site. They post the level several times a day. The other site was last updated 3/27/17.

my grandparents lived on the seneca river, the flood was fun as a kid . spearing carp raft wars all kind of neat stuff . then i had the place for ten years it wasn't so much fun then . :lol:  the house is still in the family and always will be . i go to the place now and then for a cook out and think of the old days guess i will always be a river rat at heart . 

2 hours ago, Ahab said:

Today at 6am 4/4/17 the level is 383.02 flood stage is 383.5 and the lake is still rising. Google cayuga lake water level and go to the national weather service site. They post the level several times a day. The other site was last updated 3/27/17.

Thanks , got it for seneca also. Interesting the flood stage for both is different on both sites.

On 3/11/2015 at 2:09 PM, Bigfoot said:

So far Cayuga Lake is not on the rise. As of 9 AM this morning the USGS  gauge on Cayuga Inlet recorded the surface elevation of Cayuga as 378.76 ft. This is about a tenth lower than last week.

Normal summer time levels are about 382 ft. Minor flooding occurs at 385 ft. and major flooding occurs at 386 ft.

Officially, the surface level is controlled at Mud Lock. Some believe the locks are controlled by monkeys throwing darts at a dart board! :lol:

It's a fact about the monkeys ,:yes: 

If you stand on the concrete right now at the front of Taughannonk you will get your feet wet.

At this point the level is determined ( by monkeys ) and by how much water can go through Baldwinsville.

Edited by Ahab