keuka ice on friday?

ifishy

So I finally made it to Keuka this past sunday and after struggling for a while finally figured out how to get a hit or two towards the end.  I ended up landing one breaking one off and losing one plus some missed hits.  Not a stellar day but now i have the itch.  As it happens I am going to end up with a half day friday with the weather as its forcasted do you think there will be safe ice still on friday? May or not have a buddy with me so dont want to take to much of a chance.  I also would like the chance to get back to fishy buisness.  It was my first time stopping there and that is what a tackle shop should look like.  My brother and I are already planning a pre memorial day derby trip.  I really want another chance to jig the lakers through the ice so I can decide if I want to try and do it from the boat this summer

Yes the ice is thick enough on the main lake but what is deteriorating VERY fast is the shore ice.   With the steep walls of the Finger lakes the runoff from melt water goes straight into them.  BE careful along shorelines I have heard they are going fast in some areas.

worried about honeycombed ice as well it can be thick but a lot weaker than it looks.  supposed to drop below freezing again for tonight maybe tighten it up just enough for friday.  definatly gonna have to have a backup plan.  If anybody goes out thrusday or especially friday I would love to see an ice report.  I have the second half of the day off so i wont be getting there till 1 or 2

Fished Branchport today.

Went on at the state park boat launch at 9am and found minor slush about 10 feet out that quickly turned hard.

There were about 10-15 people on the ice and the number stayed consistent throughout the day.

We went southwest about 500 yards and settled in to fish in 171 FOW.

The pull was easy but you gotta be careful because the melt/freeze cycle has turned the surface very slick.

Where we fished, the ice measured 11" with 10" of clear ice and 1" of refrozen melt.

Marked fish 90-165 feet--jigged using white bucktails and twisters--4 hits, landed 2--one 22" skinny, one 27" fatty.

Tipups were silent but the hole water froze to about 1/2" in about 2hrs.

Back in at 2pm. After a sunny day, there was a mild runoff coming out of the large drain down from the launch with some open water there.

Water over ice under the docks but the ice seemed firm and bore the weight of my 22 y/o who, despite my better judgement, wanted to see how thick the ice was.

19 degrees forecast for Penn Yan tonight so it seems like the season isn't over yet.

Tight lines,

Chas

Came off the ice at 2 PM. Open water around the docks, but still enough ice to get out.

8 inches of ice over 170 FOW but the quality is dropping.

Unless we get some nights below freezing, it's gonna end very soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

did make it out friday the ice was decent than but the shore ice is showing signs.  met bottom feeder out there nice guy good meeting you thanks for the Jig.  I got a bunch of hits early and thought I was in for a good day than after the first 45 mins that was it I couldnt buy a hit the rest of the time moved all over must have fished 20 holes of varying depths moving all around.  Found one school of bait bot excited but got no hits out of it.  seemed pretty slow around me saw one fish caught and that was early.  was at least very nice weather for what will likely be my last trip of the year.  I'm ready for boat season only 6 inches of snow left in the driveway. maybe next weekend if not than the one after would be a good day to fish than stop at the watkins sale

Landed 10 between 12:30 and 4pm Sunday. they wouldn't touch a steady retrieve. Only erratic action spurred them on. Popping the rod every few turns. They hit on the pause. A good 10" of ice out there. I hit onanda last nite solid 10" there also I had only a few hits none landed.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United