Power cord for older cannon down riggers

What kind of power cord am I going to need to get for these older cannon mini mags? I'm not sure if I can just hard wire this without a cord or not. I'd like to be able to remove them from my boat easily so hardwiring them may not be an option no matter what.

post-152759-14260827969378_thumb.jpg

post-152759-14260828427685_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Any 2 wire connector should work as long as pos. & neg. match up. Maybe a 2 wire male/female used on a car. My Big Jon's have a regular 2 wire house plug on them that plug into an out let box under the gunnel. I just plug & unplug when I take them on & off.

If you want to do it right (but not inexpensively either) go to Fish307.com and get a set of the retrofit power cords. They aren't cheap (about $70 each) but they are really sweet. I replaced the cords on my three Cannon downriggers with them and I love them (much heavier duty than the originals and they have quick disconnects that are pretty waterproof etc.) http://www.fish307.com/cannon-downrigger-part-3883220.aspx

Edited by Sk8man

Like he said anyone will.WIring is no problem as long as you don,t have auto_stop. If you wire it wrong it will just run backwards. With auto stop it will fry the ciruct board.

Edited by ERABBIT

I'd love to do it that way Les but I don't think that's in the cards financially.

I looked at some older threads and saw someone used a male and female connection for a trolling motor. I think I'd just have to leave the ground wire not connected to anything bc that connection is a 3 way.

I can send you some pics, I installed the outdoor receptacles and wired in a outdoor three way plug from an outdoor extension cord on each downrigger.  All 4 of mine are set up. Just plug them in or pull the plugs out and close the covers for each receptacle when done.  Did all 4 down riggers for like 40.00.   Note* Like Ed said, if you have Auto Stops, know your + /- otherwise you'll pop the electronics board. 

I can send you some pics, I installed the outdoor receptacles and wired in a outdoor three way plug from an outdoor extension cord on each downrigger. All 4 of mine are set up. Just plug them in or pull the plugs out and close the covers for each receptacle when done. Did all 4 down riggers for like 40.00. Note* Like Ed said, if you have Auto Stops, know your + /- otherwise you'll pop the electronics board.

Thank you! I would appreciate pictures a lot. I don't believe these are auto stop.

Edited by Phisherman585

Whatever you use make sure the cord itself is sturdy and resistant to UV my original Canon cords totally disintegrated and cracked exposing the wire because of sun damage to the outside sheathing hence the replacements.

i would go somewhere along this route. they will run you from $8-20 a set and are 10 gauge wire which is what is standard for Dowriggers. there alot of other options such as twist lock, recepticle etc. all depends on your preference.

http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-MKR-12-Quick-Connector-Plug/dp/B001PTHKRG/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426114424&sr=1-7&keywords=MKR-18+%7C+1865101

tm_quick_connect.png

One of the easiest options may be to go to a marina and get a heavy duty two wire plug like the ones I use on my boat and they usually have the receptacles as well. Cabelas or Bass Pro may also have them they are specifically for marine use. Pictured at bottom is the "Ready  Wired" plug and if you look closely at the pic of the back of my boat you'll see the installed receptacles with the downriggers plugged in.There are four receptacles and they have lids that automatically close (springs) when you unplug from them. Sorry I don't have a close up pic of the receptacles...this was the best I could do.

post-145411-0-74993900-1426119846_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-06743500-1426119870_thumb.jpg

I think that's the route I'm going to go.

I used minn Kota plug, they have 3 terminals also and I mounted them strait down from the riggers. I put the male end on the. Rigger and the other I flush mounted as that's the style mount and they have a plug type cover to keep them dry, I just pull the little plug which is attached and plug the cord in. They are offset so you can't put the business end in backwards, works great and the wire 10 gauge or better. Either way is better than the factory plugs.

I just purchased 3 connectors and plugs (seadog brand) 2 for the riggers and 1 for the trolling motor.

My next question is how would you guys go about wiring up the boat. I'm going to rewire the whole boat. Clean it up a bit. I've got 2 down riggers, a 24v trolling motor and a bigger fishfinder (8in color screen). Should I hook up a downrigger to each of my trolling motor battery's? I found last year my fish finder was draining my motor starter battery so I ended up hooking that up to one of the deep cycle trolling motor battery's but that ended up causing interference issues. I replaced the motor starting battery this winter. Should that keep my fish finder running all day now? I just don't really want to add a 4th battery to the boat for the riggers and the fish finder as that's a lot of weight for my 16 footer with a 40hp on it. Advise? Thanks for the help already guys. Really appreciated.

I would think that with a new starting battery that your alternator on the 40 horse would supply enough juice to offset the depth finder but some of the older large screen color depth finders used quite a bit of juice too. Your downriggers should run fine off one deep cycle battery but then again a 24 volt electric trolling motor on high speed setting will use a bunch of juice too. I'd certainly keep them fully charged all the time  before going out. I wouldn't think many situations would call for four batteries on a 16 ft boat with normally wired devices. You should also have a 30 amp fuse in line near the battery or for the riggers or have them direct to a breaker box and have them disconnected from the battery when not in use.

Got my power cables replaced and were under warranty. I believe cannon wants everybody to get rid of those! I would call screwy Louie's and see if you can get upgrades for free!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd give a little update. I've built a new deck on my boat to cover and keep my battery's secured, hard wired plugs and recepticals in for the two downriggers and the trolling motor, hard wired the fish finder into the the main motor battery and permanently installed my on board charger for the two trolling motor battery's. Things are coming together! Thanks for the advice guys. My little boat is going to fish BIG. Was hoping to get after Browns on Friday but the weather is looking worst and worst. She will fish big but she won't handle big waves lol. Tight lines!