Honeoye Lake Safe Ice?

fmrdd0331

I haven't been there recently but after many years of fishing there I can tell you that if you go you'll have to be incredibly careful at this times of the season maybe even more so than some of the other lakes and it isn't because of the ice thickness well out into the lakes as much as it is the shoreline situation and gas pockets randomly occurring throughout the lake. Once the snow starts melting and we have had more than normal amounts this year the numerous little(usually insignificant) streams around the shoreline become swollen and empty their contents under the ice often unseen and that moving water erodes the ice from underneath where you can't see it. One of those streams is located nearly next to the launch ramp (to the north of it).  Not only may there be potential problems going out but also coming back in after it was cold in the AM but then warmed up while you are fishing and then when you come back in the area around the shoreline has become unsafe (been there done that) making it treacherous getting back to solid ground.

What I'm saying here is don't just go by someones report of ice thickness alone and assume you'll be fine out there. This part of the season is the most dangerous on all these akes because of changing (but often unseen) conditions. The early season problem of not enough ice is one that is more easily detected.