Okuma Convectors vs Accudepth plus

I can tell you hands down after losing probably the biggest king off my life due to the Accudepth drag sticking and not being smooth I instantly switched to the Convectors and switched the discs on the drag to carbon fiber ones and have since the smoothest drag I have ever held. I also have some of the Coldwater reels also and the only issue with those is the clicker isn't loud and they make a metal one to replace the cheap plastic one and is now much louder.

i have had both and they are both decent for the price. If you are looking to stay in that price point and my choice was between the two i would say Convectors. they have a smoother drag and hold up better then the Accudepth plus. There are more expensive reels out there but the Convector will do anything you want it to at a decent price

Edited by bout time

The original accudepth reels were junk. Their replacement accudepth plus have great drags, I don't notice any difference between them and my 47LCA's.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't care for Convectors on wire rods. Any slack and the wire goes between the spool and frame requiring disassembly to fix. They work great for short cores, copper and mono, even braid. Love the handles - I put Convector handles on my AD+ and LC47s.

This isnt gonna turn into another Chevy VS Ford discussions, is it? Coming from an Okuma guy, you will be happy with the convectors for sure. Good drags, they hold up well to abuse, and the power handles make you feel like your gear ratio is better then it is. If you decide to go with Okuma, id be glad to answer any questions you may have also.

I have fished okuma, diawa, cabela's, abu garcia, shakespeare, and a few others out of them I prefer Okuma.  I have majority Okuma on my boat they are a  great reel and great customer service when you need it.

Edited by Chas0218

• 4 weeks later...

I don't care for Convectors on wire rods. Any slack and the wire goes between the spool and frame requiring disassembly to fix. They work great for short cores, copper and mono, even braid. Love the handles - I put Convector handles on my AD+ and LC47s.

THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only one that that happened to. I have had that happen a bunch of times. Pisses me off. 

Outside of that I have and like them both. For browns I will use either but if I am going out for some kings etc I will use my convectors. I just think they are built better to handle the big stress that a king puts on the reels. 

Len