Pine Valley spoons

A friend has 4 spoons that look like Pine Valley's. does anyone have any information on these? One is an #88 the others are #44

Are the still being made?

Are they a Local Company?

Being told these are vintage spoons and I should buy from him, thoughts?

Thank Bill

post-155638-0-95209000-1426179056_thumb.jpg

post-155638-0-89517400-1426194876_thumb.jpg

Edited by bill furdock

My buddy Hop (here on LOU) may know the answer He is the person most knowledgeable about PV's You might want to PM him with the pic. The one on the right looks it to me and the tape looks like it but not sure about the other on the left

Edited by Sk8man

Those actually look more like Suttons. Most Pine Valley spoons were hammered and long and skinny. The numbers stamped on them also lead me to believe they are Suttons and Sutton is still in business but having issues with plating. The old spoons do carry a value cause they were built to last

I don't believe they are Sutton's although the numbers are ones used by Sutton.  The shapes especially the one on left don't look like Sutton's and Sutton's weren't taped at all and that taping looks like that of a Pine Valley although admittedly it could be hand done. Most of all the finishes don't look like Sutton's. The finish on the left looks like it is tarnished if underneath it there is a swirl design throughout the spoon it could be a Quick Strike 88 that is tarnished  or even the plain brass finish which sometimes did. Pretty hard to tell from the pics.

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8 yah I agree took another look on my computer where I can zoom in more. The tape on all the pine valley spoons I have runs diagonal on every one. Could it be possible that they are old Pflueger spoons. They used to have just a number stamped on them and my gramps has a ton but God forbid if we even get close to them, he racks the shotgun when we start looking at his spoons lol

I'm not sure of the exact year they went out of business but it was some time ago but they were from the south end of Seneca Lake I believe (which is where Pine Valley is)

The Hammered 22 was an OK  LO spoon but  an Evil eye or Andy Reeker or Sutton  outfished them , I remember the 06 size that had a tuft of marabou on them. Looked Sexy as all heck  Didn't run  well & no hits. That is when I found out most lures are packedged to catch fisherman, not fish. I went down And looked at all the ones I bought after readind this post.  IMO poor exuse for a spoon. A friend of mine in Hamlin was a field tester.

Here are 3 that I have one of which is brand new never opened. Note the price. They have a pic of a pine tree on the back.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-149480-14263857913054_thumb.jpg

post-149480-14263858119822_thumb.jpg

We almost purchase purchased pine valley in 1983. I never knew them to be sold taped, not that they weren't. I was only 13 then. I have one of their catalogues and one of every spoon they made. I will post pics when I get home from the shop tonight. I agree with Les, the 88 does seem to be a pv spoon.

I really like when a vintage spoon appears, and the older gents dig into there minds and tell us younger gen 50plus year old, shows the world how much influence there was on fishing since we were able to hold a fishing pole. I'm really into history and when it involves something I enjoy doing I really enjoy listening to the folks that hand on experience. I didn't grow up in the Great Lakes area, but I'm really into old bottles which I found as a kid raking down many hill sides around home and old farmsteads. I once fished the Black River above Brownville in a deep gorge but found myself digging along the banks inspecting the broken glass, along a railroad bed, lots of great old pieces of glass some I dated into the late 1700's early 1800's just by looking at how the tops corking area were formed. Very interesting!!!!, if old lure talks last as long as old bottles, you better have a place to sit down. PAP.

A friend of mine bought Pine Valley and lives in Palmyra NY. He tried to revive the name with little success in the 80's. He has since

retired and gave up on the spoon business. I believe he still has the equipment and probably tons of blanks. He also had plating issues like Sutton, that led to Pine Valley's demise.