Kicker mount- can't decide

Bonzoso

Hi all,

I know this has been discussed many times on this board and I have read a lot of the older posts. I found an older (early 90's Johnson long shaft 9.9 hp 2 stroke that looks like it was never used.  Anyway, I've been going many years without a kicker on my 95 1802 trophy (w/ 120hp ob) and would like to use this Johnson. Over the years I've debated using one of the adjustable mounts or a fixed mount. I've never been able to decide, but with this motor in hand, it's time to cut bait. I trailer a lot (NY to NC and in between) so I've always been wary of the adjustable because  it's not advised by the manufacturers and I've seen many of them bouncing around on the back of trailed boats. I've heard some say if you winch the kicker down to support it during trailering it's fine.  The fixed mount seems like it would be more secure when trailering. I'd really like some input from those that trailer their kickers mounted on a boat similar to mine. Another pro in the fixed column for me would be price. I've seen some well rated fixed mounts for about $90. Thanks  for any and all input.

I have basically the kicker you are talking about and I've had it mounted since 2002 and never a problem. I have never had to adjust it either and I am sometimes running in excess of 50 mph and it has survived some rough water as well over the years. It is rated for a max of 115 lbs or 20 hp. It is made by Garelick. It is the stainless steel version.  Here is a pic of of the mounting.

post-145411-0-17026300-1426252857_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-15836700-1426253070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Wow, that mount looks a little beefier than the stainless 2 stroke garelicks I used to see on the road bouncing kickers around back in the late nineties.  Thing is, I just went on garelicks web site to check out those 4 stroke kickers, and even though they do look much more robust,  they still say in their paperwork that the motors should NOT be trailered on the mounts.  Annoys me that they make this product for heavy 4 stokes and still won't ok them for trailering? How many people really lift a 100lb+ motor on and off a trailered boat every time they want to go down the road and why would they not want to manufacture a product that they felt they had to include this disclaimer with. And how do you carry an unmounted 100lb. motor around in your vehicle with all kinds of gas and oil and funky water spilling out of it. Still tryin to decide if a stationary would be better. But thanks for your input AND pictures. It helps.

It's purely a liability statement. I have a new Garelick extra long throw 4 stroke bracket and it trailers just fine on the penn yan with a brand new XL Merc 9.9 pro kicker which is over 125lbs if I remember right.

All I know is that mine is bolted through the hull and never moves at all and I've trailered all over the place. Good luck.

Yeah,

I was looking on ebay for those OMC's a few yeas ago. They were hard to find but everyone said they were the best at the time. Could never find one that didn't look like it was on it's last legs.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1426299997.972051.jpg
I'm pretty happy with this guy! I have it on my islander with a 8hp Honda four stroke. I do ratchet the lower unit and chain it, but it heavy duty and seems pretty solid so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have used one just like Sk8man since 1998 carrying a 9.9 Johnson just like yours and never had a spot of trouble while trailering. Although it impossible to see from the pictures,it has a small bar that slides behind a bolt and enables you to lock it in the "high" position.

Another much more important reason why I use this type is being able to raise and lower it while in the water. I like it all the way up while traveling in the water just so the lower unit is all the way out of the water instead of partly in the water. This prevents water resistance,bouncing around (loosing the outboard?), the propeller from running at high speeds because of water resistance,the engine accidentally starting because it was left in gear and the lower unit going bad because of all the above mentioned.

My advice would be,go with a garelick like the one on Sk8man picture and stay away from the ones that you cannot adjust according to your needs of the moment.

I would add a remote control setup so you can control it from your seat. These johnson are cable remote ready.

The only thing that is better is the OMC bracket with the gas filled piston which is not only just as strong as the Garelick but also makes raising and lowering very easy.

I would have bought one if not for the high price of a good one.

One more thing. If you use one ,do follow Longline's advice and chain up your outboard to the transom. ( it it falls off in the water,you can pull it back out).

Edited by rolmops

I'd appreciate it, but if a good one doesn't show up in a couple of weeks, I'll probably go with one of those garelicks like the 71090.  Just wondering how those springs are on the 4 stroke mount and If my 2 stroke Johnson ( I still chuckle when I say that) will have any problem dropping from the up position. I saw a guy complaining on Amazon ( he said his motor weighed about 60 lbs) that he had to push the motor down completely because the springs were too strong for his motor. I don't know what my 9.9 weighs offhand but I'd guess at least 75 lbs. Anyone see a problem here.

some guy was selling one on craigslist this fall for like $80 that looked sweet. I almost bought because I paid about 300 for mine. If I see it' again I'll keep you in mind.

I just bought one off Ebay for $47 . the adjustable Trac T10050 It's like new. I plan on getting the plate it slides into for easy removal. I am just using a 5 hp suzuki. I just want it for a back up on my 22 ft CDory Cruiser, which I am currently installing a new Yamaha 70 fuel injected four stroke. Replacing my 2000 YamahaF80 carberated four stroke. Can't wait. Also bought some Bennet hydrolic trim tabs to try.

I have basically the kicker you are talking about and I've had it mounted since 2002 and never a problem. I have never had to adjust it either and I am sometimes running in excess of 50 mph and it has survived some rough water as well over the years. It is rated for a max of 115 lbs or 20 hp. It is made by Garelick. It is the stainless steel version. Here is a pic of of the mounting.

Been looking through the kicker pages , way back.

Think I like this set up. Can you post a link or model type?

I have a 1987 15 hp ( 2 stroke ) evenrude long shaft that I'd like to mount on my starcraft islander 221 I/0

15 hp is over kill but its just sitting in my basement, weight wise its about the same as my 2000 Yamaha ( 2 stroke ) 9.9 short shaft .

Rich - I bought the kicker bracket back in 2002 and don't have the model number recorded anyplace and the boat is in storage right now so I don't have access to it. I think if you look on the Garelick website it is the one that is stainless steel (they may have changed the number etc. by now anyway ) not the aluminum removable bracket type (I have one of those that I ordered first until I saw it firsthand and then went with the other more sturdy one. This is the one I have Rich http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/garelick-stainless-eez-in-auxiliary-outboard-motor-brackets?a=260407&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA-BING&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Bing&utm_campaign=CI&srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=36-46007711-2

Edited by Sk8man

nysrx01 -I'd make sure you secure the motor real good with that slide out bracket. I still have one of those bracket assemblies in the box down cellar that I initially bought for my set up but it didn't look sturdy enough for the job so I bought the stainless one. If you hit a real big bump someplace the motor could jar right out of that slide in plate if you trailer it with the motor in it.

Edited by Sk8man

Rich - I bought the kicker bracket back in 2002 and don't have the model number recorded anyplace and the boat is in storage right now so I don't have access to it. I think if you look on the Garelick website it is the one that is stainless steel (they may have changed the number etc. by now anyway ) not the aluminum removable bracket type (I have one of those that I ordered first until I saw it firsthand and then went with the other more sturdy one. This is the one I have Rich http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/garelick-stainless-eez-in-auxiliary-outboard-motor-brackets?a=260407&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA-BING&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Bing&utm_campaign=CI&srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=36-46007711-2

Sk8man,

This one looks like a slightly lighter duty version of the 7109X series (I think they are aluminum alloy and seem to have a beefier handle). But it does appear to have adjusting hole to adapt for proper vertical positioning on almost any transom angle. Am I correct? Do any of you guys that use the 7109X series know if this is also the case or will I need to use a wedge between the mount and transom. ( My boat is not here and I can't remember how much of an angle the mounting surface has to the water) I do plan on using a PE board between the transom and mount, just curious as to whether it'll need to be machined to a wedge.

Edited by Bonzoso

I have to apologize for my faulty memory :)  The aluminum bracket and adapter plate are made by Fulton not Garelick but the stainless one on the boat was.

Here are pics of the (removable) aluminum bracket and adapter plate I decided against and the informational boxes:

This mount is pricey but looks sturdy - http://www.amazon.com/Garelick-71091-01-Aluminum-Auxillary-Bracket/dp/B000KOOP16

post-145411-0-69772700-1426437111_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-94998100-1426437129_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-61494800-1426437147_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-38228700-1426437163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I am doing the very same thing to my Trophy 2002 WA. I am putting a '98 Johnson 9.9 with controls on a Garelick bracket. I decided on model # 71056, from Amazon of all places. It is stainless, is rated to 115 lbs and has the adjustable transom angle. It is not meant to be removable, but I don't think I will be removing the motor anyway. I noticed while researching these things that all of the heavier rated mounts have wider bases and hinges. I liked this build due to the twisting and side to side loading it will endure while trolling. I have one of the lighter rated kicker brackets mounted to my work bench to work on outboards. My 9.9 drops that thing to the floor if released, and the long shaft affords a ton of leverage to twist and torque that bracket way more than I would like to see in a marine setting.

That is the exact one I have had and it is pretty "bullet proof". When running full tilt (50 plus) I tilt the trolling motor up all the way (and I have an extra long shaft (25 inch) 9.9 -2 stroke) and as I said previously  I have NEVER had a problem with it and I have fished the rough waters of Lake O as well as Seneca etc.but I frequently check the motor screw downs and the bracket itself just as a routine precaution but i have never had to tighten the bolts or anything. I have never raised it or lowered the bracket itself only adjusted the trim of the motor.

I am doing the very same thing to my Trophy 2002 WA. I am putting a '98 Johnson 9.9 with controls on a Garelick bracket. I decided on model # 71056, from Amazon of all places. It is stainless, is rated to 115 lbs and has the adjustable transom angle. It is not meant to be removable, but I don't think I will be removing the motor anyway. I noticed while researching these things that all of the heavier rated mounts have wider bases and hinges. I liked this build due to the twisting and side to side loading it will endure while trolling. I have one of the lighter rated kicker brackets mounted to my work bench to work on outboards. My 9.9 drops that thing to the floor if released, and the long shaft affords a ton of leverage to twist and torque that bracket way more than I would like to see in a marine setting.

Yes, that one seems to have a wider base than the other stainless ones I've seen.  I really am leaning toward the garelick 71090. It may be overkill for my 9.9 2 stroke and a little more expensive but it looks really rugged. I can't seem to see if it has  transom  angle adjustment and the literature I found doesn't mention it. With wedges it could be made to work. Got to get up to my boat to see if I have a significant angle on the mounting surface.

Thanks to all who posted!

Bonzoso  mine is built out a bit with stuff like Starboard plastic material but any adjustment of the motor angle is done to the motor itself not the bracket