Sodus

Dylan585

Still 18 inches of good ice and then about 4 of not so good ice. Good day. Had 30 hits on tip downs and 15 on rods. Landed 25 perch. About 15 keepers. A like hit one of the tip downs, broke the 4 lb mono like it was nothing

I heard the same, saw a few tents on west side of islands this morning and there is one guy out now in front of Bonnie Castle

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

where I'm going there's like 3 feet of water. At least if I go through it won't be too bad lol

Still had about 18 inches of ice... Got out to my spot and the auger stalled. Had to move in and find some old holes to use. Caught a few small perch, and had a pike hit one of my perch tip downs

Edited by Dylan585

What are tip downs, are they the ones that work the opposite way, or is this just the new ice fishing lingo? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ just curious? For the last 100 years they were tip ups?

Edited by pap

I had 4 running for perch and 2 for pike. So yea, why? The pike ones had pike minnows as bait

you really need to check you reg book before going out again just saying :bandit:  ....i think thats what fish junkie means

What are tip downs, are they the ones that work the opposite way, or is this just the new ice fishing lingo? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ just curious? For the last 100 years they were tip ups?

tip downs are free poles normaly made from wooden dowel or you can be fancier like mine and they are balanced on some sort of stand. Bait the hook and balance the rod and wait for it to ....Tip Down whan a fish hits, they work really well for light bite and smaller fish (pan fish) ...kinda like a bobber. When bigger fish get ahold of them you better pray its on the one closest to your shanty or you run the risk of loseing the pole and sometimes the base ...ask me how i know :thinking: lol

you really need to check you reg book before going out again just saying :bandit: ....i think thats what fish junkie means

I contacted the DEC too make sure what I do is legal and what makes something qualify as a tip up... In order for something to qualify as a tip up it must "have some sort of a device to signal a hit" and they didn't say anything about what fish and I can and cannot fish for using them... PM me if I'm doing something illegal. FYI there was 2 of us out there... That's why I had 6 tip ups. I just read back and realized I hadn't said that Edited by Dylan585

Hey Dylan,

I think what he's getting at is that pike have been out of season since March 16th. Tip ups or tip downs are fine at five per guy. 

Oops.

Stay on top.

Gator

tip downs are free poles normaly made from wooden dowel or you can be fancier like mine and they are balanced on some sort of stand. Bait the hook and balance the rod and wait for it to ....Tip Down whan a fish hits, they work really well for light bite and smaller fish (pan fish) ...kinda like a bobber. When bigger fish get ahold of them you better pray its on the one closest to your shanty or you run the risk of loseing the pole and sometimes the base ...ask me how i know :thinking: lol

Thank you for clarifying that, I thought I saw them being used on THE NEXT BITE but I wasn't sure about the Tip Down.

Thank you for clarifying that, I thought I saw them being used on THE NEXT BITE but I wasn't sure about the Tip Down.

the ones that I have is literally just a piece of wood that pivots on nails

I did see a few guys off of resort road today and there were several tents in front of grassy point, but i didn't get a chance to talk to them to see what ice conditions were like or the fishing.

I did see a few guys off of resort road today and there were several tents in front of grassy point, but i didn't get a chance to talk to them to see what ice conditions were like or the fishing.

I'd have to imagine there's still a decent amount of good ice